STAR TREK 2d20

How to add tables straight from the db.xml

So, I thought I would be slick and make modifications to a boatload of existing tables by copying them from the db.xml into Excel, and using the Replace All feature to swap some simple text strings in them all (887 substitutions!). They were all very unique so no chance they replaced something unintended.

I swapped the id numbers of the new altered code to be sequentially at the end of the line, and pasted them back in.

Then I started up FG to check it out, and I got a console error on load:

Code:
    [ERROR]  Process Data File (): The ' ' character, hexadecimal value 0xA0, cannot be included in a name. Line 294875, position 18.
    That line is below, and position 18 is the space between dice and type:

Code:
    <dice type="dice"></dice>
    What went wrong here? I tried replacing the space with a new space in the XML, but no dice, same exact error. Is there something I overlooked? It would be absolutely amazing if I could make this work (save me DAYS of work in duplication!)

xA0 is a non-breaking space (&nbsp; in HTML)

You want a standard space (x20)

JPG

So, excel must have changed all my spaces for some weird reason then!? Ugh... why would it do that (rhetorical question)

Well, maybe I’ll try the same thing, but with MS Word instead. Maybe it won’t swap out the space characters.

Thanks MW! I looked up that code and it told me it was “160” which didn’t make sense, your answer seems to shed light on what must’ve happened.

I used notepad.

...AND HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD it saved me days of work. This is a trick I won't soon forget. I cannot believe it took me this long to even think of it!

Thread Information