DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

RMC: so many steps to complete an attack with a critical hit?

Hi,
    I recently bought RMC (and the Companion). I wonder how many steps/clicks I have to make to complete an attack which scored a critical hit:
    - roll the attack dice;
    - click to resolve the result;
    - click to apply the result; if a critical is scored
    - roll the d100;
    - drag and drop the result on the critical table;
    - click to apply the outcome of the critical table.

Couldn't it be more easy to roll the attack dice and FG makes automatically all the steps above, giving/applying the final critical result? If someone wishes to detail all the steps above, in order to adjust any modifier, there could be just an option to allow it..

Hi Galdor,

For the most part that could be automated that way but the problem is there are situations where that wouldn't work. For example, the Large and Super-Large critical tables have columns for the type of attack that caused the critical and right now there is no way to specify if it is magic, mithril, holy or slaying. The slaying one is especially problematic. Also the current version new Apply button doesn't handle attacks that apply multiple criticals. The GM still needs to right click on the result to apply those results. I am working on getting that to work with the apply button but need to figure out the best way to handle it.

I plan on adding an option to automatically roll the critical and select the correct cell so that it happens automatically when clicking the Apply button.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how you would like to see it done.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    Hi Galdor,

For the most part that could be automated that way but the problem is there are situations where that wouldn't work. For example, the Large and Super-Large critical tables have columns for the type of attack that caused the critical and right now there is no way to specify if it is magic, mithril, holy or slaying. The slaying one is especially problematic. Also the current version new Apply button doesn't handle attacks that apply multiple criticals. The GM still needs to right click on the result to apply those results. I am working on getting that to work with the apply button but need to figure out the best way to handle it.
    Thank you Dakadin. These are bad news (for me): this way of complete an attack requires too many steps for me. Maybe a way to speed it up a bit is to cut off the click to resolve and the click to apply (at least), that is the second and the third bullet of the list above..

Hi Galdor,

Yes, those are possibilities also that I can add. The issue that might occur with removing the click to resolve is when more than one roll needs the Table Resolver. It would have to overwrite the previous roll or ignore the new roll. I could definitely add an option to automatically apply the attack result.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of an application that resolves attacks and criticals in Rolemaster faster or with less clicking around?

The new apply button actually was implemented a month or 2 ago and it greatly reduced the amount of effort to resolve attacks and criticals. It actually goes really fast for me. Here is what I do to help speed things up. I leave the Table Resolver at it's smallest size right next to the chat window. Then I put the combat tracker to the right of that. This allows me to roll the attack on the Combat Tracker. Then move to the Table Resolver and click the Resolve button. Then I just verify the modifiers since occasionally I forget to include something that I wanted to include. If everything looks good, I click the Apply button. This opens the result table so I just roll a d100 at the bottom of the chat window and drag the result to the result table. My players like to hear the results so I read it off while I am clicking the Apply button for the critical. Hopefully that helps but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Thank you Dakadin.
    Just out of curiosity, do you know of an application that resolves attacks and criticals in Rolemaster faster or with less clicking around?
    Absolutely not. But Dungeon Crawl Classic here on FG resolves the roll to hit, several kind of criticals, etc with just one click/step... You click to make the attack, and if the attack is a critical FG resolves automatically the critical, applying the appropriate critical table (which are differents, depending on the character class, level, etc).

I definitely hope you could overcome the following issues:
    For the most part that could be automated that way but the problem is there are situations where that wouldn't work. For example, the Large and Super-Large critical tables have columns for the type of attack that caused the critical and right now there is no way to specify if it is magic, mithril, holy or slaying. The slaying one is especially problematic.

Galdor, the issue is not with the ruleset it is rolemaster in general it a very complex system and unlike DnD there are several "if then" type queries in the rules that make automation very hard.

Coming from 20 years of playing Rolemaster, there is 1000 rules and so much home brew stuff, you do not want to much automation otherwise you ruin other fun.

What make Rolemaster for me better the DnD is that it is complex and has has layering of rules, but this makes it a slow experience in combat it more akin to wargaming in combat they it is DnD. But for me and I am guessing much of the fan base of Rolemaster is why it a major attraction.
    Last edited by Ardem; July 9th, 2021 at 03:22.
    ------------------
    Ardem

Discord: Ardem#4756
    Teamspeak Server: ts3.varidan.com.au
    Ultimate Licencse: FGC/FGU

Campaign Currently Running: Greenbrook Rolemaster FRP (Weekly Wednesday 8.00pm-11.00pm), YouTube Stream

Game/Ruleset created: Extinction Event
    Extensions created: Rolemaster FRP, XP Extension, Random Extension

Once I got used to the general flow of combat my Rolemaster combats were much faster with the ruleset. For decades I've said that Rolemaster would be better computerized and it is. Imagine that each click is taking the place of flipping through the book, finding the appropriate table, then comparing the roll to the appropriate column which may then reference you to a critical table elsewhere, which starts again. It does take a few sessions to get used to the click/drag handling, but once familiarity sets in, saves SO much time.

Thank you esmdev and Ardem.

I do like the detail level of Rolemaster, and I always hoped - as esmdev - the following
    For decades I've said that Rolemaster would be better computerized
    I am just asking to speed up the current combat flow here on FG: I just hope that one day we could resolve all the attack (and critical) with just one click

My group and I also want this, marking or dragging our attack against the target, being a critical hit the die is already rolled automatically applying damage + critical effects. another thing we would like is a better herb manager, to find herbs during expeditions. I started playing a little while ago and I realize that a lot of things are ignored not because they are difficult, complex or powerful, but because of why, or for the simple fact that oh, I didn't want to spend 5 minutes reading this to understand how it works. or it's too complicated, it takes too long to do it this way or that...

For those of you trying to still use dragging to the target, the new Apply button the Table Resolver actually handles most cases without issue. The only reason to drag is if you want to adjust the result on the fly. If that is the case drag it to the defender/target on the Table Resolver instead of trying to track down the target. It will apply the result automatically and you can use the link if you need to get to any additional information.

Also, I am hoping to be able to provide options so just the attack can be rolled and it will figure out and apply any results. As I mentioned before, I have to handle all the one-off situations and Rolemaster unfortunately has quite a few of them. The more I look into it the more I am finding them. That means that until I can get all of those situations handled, I can't fully automate it to just rolling the attack to generate it all. It is definitely planned but I still have quite a bit to do for the ruleset to make things easier for GMs and PCs.

Thread Information