DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Freezing issues

Freezing issues

In June we had freezing issues while playing. The game froze frequently for about 5 sec every few minutes.
    Now we have taken a break in playing over the summer.

The freezing also occurs when I am preparing the game for future play. That is with no one else connected.
    For example I write text in a story window and the game freezes in the exact same way for about every 20 words I write down.

I did unload all extensions and the problem is the same. So I updated them all and reenabled them.

I always run Unity and the latest version.
    Windows 10.
    No other program is locked up when this happens.

Anyone have a clue what it could be?

Can you show us a screenshot of the /campaign/<campaignname> folder content or tell us the size of the db.xml of your campaign? Fanatsy Grounds autosaves every 5 minutes and there has been a handful of reports that the saving process freezes the program when working with a very large db.xml.

Otherwise there was one report some months ago that had only freezes while writing large (> 5k words) story entries.

Here is the campaign folder and the db.xml looks to be 6MB
    campaign_folder.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    Here is the campaign folder and the db.xml looks to be 6MB
    campaign_folder.JPG
    Thanks. If memory serves right, one or two people already had problems with a size of 6 MB. As that looks like LMoP I don't know why that database would be so big. You can zip and upload your campaign here if you want so others can take a look.

See here for how to: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ers-ask-for-it

LMoP where the first campaing we played with FG, så I named the Campaign after LMoP. Maybe I should have named it "Campaign 1-20 Cozy" or something.
    Then we continued with Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and that one is big.

But I have unloaded the LMoP.
    Windows 10 64bit, MSI, i7-4770K 3.50GHz (8CPU), 16384MB RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

The actual module (adventure) you load doesn't affect the db.xml at all. Only the data which is explicitly in your campaign is also in the database. My 2-year old Curse of Strahd campaign for example is 2,2 MB in size. My new campaign's db.xml which is now 15 sessions long and got 6 players is 1,09 MB in size. For some reason you got a rather big file.

I have used other maps with more details for the first 5 levels.
    Maybe I should not do the same for the rest of the levels (15 more or so)

Edit: We are 4 players and have played about 30 session (4 hours each).
    Last edited by Cozy; July 6th, 2021 at 13:52.
    Windows 10 64bit, MSI, i7-4770K 3.50GHz (8CPU), 16384MB RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

As Zarestia suggests - please ZIP up your campaign and post here so we can see what's causing the large amount of data.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The actual campaign is 1GB and the rar-file 700MB.
    So I should probably not just place it here in the forum.
    You can download it from my FTP-server:
    https://jfg.se/FG/LMoP.rar

As I now understand, the problem is because I have:
    - added large and detailed maps with ocluders
    - kept the old maps
    - added translated text to some parts (to Swedish)
    - added some of my own changes

I guess the best I could do now when we are not playing until December:
    - Start a new campaign with the DoTMM
    - Just use the included maps
    - Transfer over only some important stuff
    Instead of starting a new campaign. Is it possible to reset a campaign to the original status?

Is there anything more that I should think about not to do, so the size of the DB does not grow to big?

Thanks for attaching the files. A quick look at this, but just opening the db.xml file in Notepad++ and collapsing the XML levels:

Just a quick look at the number of lines within this file that has 117,495 lines of XML:
    1. 50,000 for the characters
    2. 29,000 for the images
    3. 17,000 for MKshops
    4. 15,000 for the party sheet.

The above four items account for approximately 111,000 lines - 94% of the total number of lines in the file. Now, this isn't an accurate measure - as some lines may contain much more data than others, but it's a good place to start.

Expanding the above 4 mentions XML levels reveals:
    1. There are 20 PCs in this campaign.
    2. There are 80 images.
    3. There are 18 records in MKshops. I assume this is data stored as a result of entering data through an extension.
    4. Nearly 9,000 of the 15,000 lines in the party sheet are in NMNgm and NMNnpcs - which I again assume is via an extension.

So, there are definitely things to look at here:
    • Export and delete some of the PC records that aren't being used.
    • Remove images that aren't being used any more and also see below regarding moving data to modules.
    • Move data that doesn't change regularly to modules.
    • Remove other data that isn't needed - be it old FG data or MKshops, NMNgm and NMNnpcs

The main thing is removing large data that you're no longer using, or don't change the data. The second point is where to look at in more details - if you create something (a shop, a map with LoS/lighting on it, etc.) and this won't change much, then put it in a module. Do most of your creation work in a "module development" campaign and then export that data to a module, and load that module up in your campaign. If the module may have a lot of data, then use multiple "module development" campaigns - have one for shops, one for maps of a specific area, another for maps of a different area, etc.. This will reduce the amount of data being saved when you're doing your development work, and also significantly reduce the amount of data saved in game.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information