STAR TREK 2d20

Parry Missile Attack

Hi,

one of my players has asked me about parrying missile attacks, as the Arms Law (section 2.2) states that this is possible:

Parrying Missile Fire: As with melee parrying, a defender parrying a missile may reduce their OB, in whole or in part, and shift that bonus to their DB. To parry a missile attack:
    However, when I look at the Combat Tracker, it only allows me to parry melee attacks (and not missile).
    Defending character has a shield equipped and can only apply OB to the melee attack as per image below
    CT Parrying.JPG

Is there something I am missing?

PS. No extensions were loaded, FGU is updated to current version

Thank you, as always, for any guidance

Hi mikegraf,

You aren't missing anything. It is just that Arms Law is a bit confusing on the subject. It has a section about parrying missiles and then Table 02-04 explicitly states that some weapons "Cannot parry missile attacks." I can add the missile parry field back in if you need it. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    Hi mikegraf,

You aren't missing anything. It is just that Arms Law is a bit confusing on the subject. It has a section about parrying missiles and then Table 02-04 explicitly states that some weapons "Cannot parry missile attacks." I can add the missile parry field back in if you need it. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Dakadin

please that would be good, and it would be good if we could use the rules as follows (copied from Arms Law) (note my bolding of key rules):

Parrying Missile Fire: As with melee parrying, a defender parrying a missile may reduce their OB, in whole or in part, and shift that bonus to their DB. To parry a missile attack:

- The defender must be aware that they will be subject to the attack.
    - They must also have a shield (a weapon won’t do) or suitable terrain with which to parry the missile.
    - When parrying missile fire, the shift must be declared before the attack and is only applicable against missile attackers on one facing. (Exception: defender may cancel any action to missile parry if they have at least 60% activity left.)
    - Parrying a missile attack requires 50% of a character’s normal activity for a round.

Parrying Limitations: A combatant may use part of their OB for missile parrying, another part for melee parrying, and another part for a melee attack; but the sum of these may not exceed their normal OB total. A summary of parrying limitations may be found in the Shield-Parry Table 02-04, detailed descriptions are listed by attack type in Section 5

To me this means that there needs to be a change in the Combat Tracker interface which currently allows you to set a specific Melee parry value or choose All (assign all to melee). I do like the All option (quick and easy) and would perhaps suggest the following:
    - Tick titled "All melee" that assigns full OB to Melee parry (full parry)
    - number field where part of OB can be entered (and deducted from Melee OB) for part parry against melee attack
    - Tick titled "All missile" that assigns full OB to Missile parry (full parry)
    - number field where part of OB can be entered (and deducted from Melee OB) for part parry against missile attack

I note that currently you can enter a value higher than the actual OB into the Melee field, which is fine as the DM can monitor this.

Since the rule (and table 02-04) explicity states only a Shield can parry, I guess there are 2 options:
    1. Add an additional field into items under Shield Information that can be set if the item can be used to parry missiles
    2. Leave it to the DM to monitor whether players set appropriate missile parry values (ie if they try to parry missiles with a Maine Gauche, which is not allowable)

Arms Law Table 02-04.jpg

Hi mikegraf,

Most of that will have to be handled by the GM since there isn't a way for FG to know that information. I would need to think of the best way to implement it but having it reduce the OB by the combined amount of the melee and missile parry would be definitely included. I should be able to include the shield restriction.

The All? checkbox tells FG to apply the defense to all attackers and not just those the defender has targeted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Hi mikegraf,

Most of that will have to be handled by the GM since there isn't a way for FG to know that information. I would need to think of the best way to implement it but having it reduce the OB by the combined amount of the melee and missile parry would be definitely included. I should be able to include the shield restriction.

The All? checkbox tells FG to apply the defense to all attackers and not just those the defender has targeted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Sounds good - thank you

Hi Dakadin, just checking if this was still in the works

Thanks

Hi mikegraf,

Yes, it is but real life has been keeping me busy lately so I haven't made much progress lately.

Dakadin

Hi mikegraf,

Yes, it is but real life has been keeping me busy lately so I haven't made much progress lately.

Dakadin
    OK no rush - thanks mate

Hi mikegraf,

This had been added as an option in v2.1.34 which should go live on Tuesday, September 14. If you set it to On, then the missile parry field will show up in the Combat Tracker. It will reduce the OB by the combination of the melee and missile parry. The melee parry will apply to melee attacks. The missile parry to missile/thrown attacks.

As mentioned before, you will need to determine when it can be used but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Hi mikegraf,

This had been added as an option in v2.1.34 which should go live on Tuesday, September 14. If you set it to On, then the missile parry field will show up in the Combat Tracker. It will reduce the OB by the combination of the melee and missile parry. The melee parry will apply to melee attacks. The missile parry to missile/thrown attacks.

As mentioned before, you will need to determine when it can be used but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Thank you

Thread Information