STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Session 'Saving/spooling' ever 5mins

Hi All,

recently (within the last 5 days) RMC has been 'pausing' every 5mins (I've timed it). It's even grey screening occasionally.

I've created serval large, detailed maps and I'm wondering if that's causing the problem.

Anyone else experienced/ing this?

I'm having no problems with my Call of Cthulhu game.... but that's not map heavy.

If it's just me I'll raise a log.

Thanks,

Rainbird

And the title should read 'every 5mins'
    Last edited by Rainbird; July 3rd, 2021 at 23:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbird View Post
    Hi All,

recently (within the last 5 days) RMC has been 'pausing' every 5mins (I've timed it). It's even grey screening occasionally.
    FG (either Classic or Unity) does an auto save every 5 minutes, this is part of the base product, and cannot be disabled.

I've created serval large, detailed maps and I'm wondering if that's causing the problem.

Anyone else experienced/ing this?

I'm having no problems with my Call of Cthulhu game.... but that's not map heavy.

If it's just me I'll raise a log.

Thanks,

Rainbird
    It is possible the large size of the maps is the culprit, just how big are we talking about with the maps?

FGC or FGU?

Also, how large is your db.xml file in your campaign folder?
    What kind of drive is your FG data stored on? Is it networked or external drive or synched (DropBox/OneDrive)?

Regards,
    JPG

Sulimo/Moon Wizard,

Thanks for the prompt responses

I'm on FGU

MW - I've grabbed a screen shot of my db session files here dbxml grab.png
    Today's is 5,376kb

Thanks Rainbird

That's a very large data file. Most campaigns are under 1MB in size; and I've seen them range up to 2MB for those people that are heavy users. What kind of data are you pumping into the system?

You should probably start looking at exporting world data into modules using development campaigns to subset the data. In most cases, data that large has been because people are storing multiple books worth of data directly into their campaign; or they are using extensions which bloat the database.

Also, you didn't answer about where your FG data is stored? Is it on your main drive, or stored in an external or slower secondary drive or network drive? Also, do you have synching software, such as DropBox or OneDrive on that folder? (If so, you should disable for the FG data folder.)

Regards,
    JPG

Hi Moon Wizard - Thanks for the reply. I've emptied out my 'Image' button of anything not being used and that has solved the problem.

The data I'm 'pumping in' are maps. I'm using the FGU map design packages to create scenario maps with lighting, occluders, details etc. I've also loaded a couple of extensions but turning these off made no difference.

In answer to where is the data stored. I think it's on my main drive (as I haven't made any changes from a 'stock' setup as I'm no tech expert). I have no Synced drives.

I'm unsure what you mean by sub-setting campaigns. I assume you're suggesting making new campaigns at regular intervals to accommodate the amount of map data I'm generating?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Hi Rainbird,

When Moon Wizard mentions using development campaigns, he is talking about creating new campaigns to enter data into that you will export to a module that you can open in your main campaign and then you can close it when you are done with that information. It allows you to reopen it if you ever need it and close it to keep the resources down in the campaign. Plus the FG autosave will only backup the main campaign and not the modules so it would help cut down on some of what is slowing things down. Here is link that will provide more information: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...odules#Library

The beginning cover the Library and modules. Then is explains exporting modules. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Hi Dakadin - thanks for the link. I had no idea about development campaigns....

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a read through.

Thanks - Rainbird

Once extensions have added data to the database, there is no way to remove it unless the extension author added a mechanism to do that. The FG engine doesn't know what was added by the core rulesets vs. extensions. It's all just data to the engine.

For maps, how are you generating the maps/occluders/lighting? Is it being provided by another program that might be adding a lot of data?
    You also might look at the crowd-sourcing thread for DLC occluder/lighting for tips. You might want to cut down on the detail level of the LoS to be more chunky.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ht-Definitions

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbird View Post
    Hi Dakadin - thanks for the link. I had no idea about development campaigns....

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a read through.

Thanks - Rainbird
    You might have a look at the guide here for best practices on Adventure Module creation. Even if you are not doing adventures per se, this is still good advice.

Thread Information