Starfinder Playlist

Support for Alternate Build Points rules

Hello!
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature request, so I'll leave up to the verans to tell me if I need to move this into the bug thread.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but while we have content for the AP Live Free or Die: We're No Heroes, there doesn't seem to be any way to support the Alternate Build Points Rules printed within the AP book (page 51).

These new rules focus on altering the way PCs can obtain Build Points (BP) for building and upgrading starships. In the normal rules, Build Points are a pool that constantly increases as the PCs level up, but in this subsystem, Build Points become a form of currency. The PCs spend BP to buy a starship and cargo, and they earn BP whenever they make a sale.

The PCs’ starship becomes an investment like any other piece of equipment, but bought with BP instead of credits. As the PCs complete jobs, they get more Build Points to spend on upgrading their starship. They can do so gradually, installing one new system at a time, or they can hoard BP and then spend them all at once. However, the PCs should always keep some BP on hand to buy the cargo for their next job. If the PCs’ ship is destroyed, they also lose the BP they invested in it! (Many crews insure their starships for just this eventuality; see page 54 for details.) But if the PCs’ business flourishes, they’ll find themselves living in the lap of luxury, hiring additional employees, or even buying a second starship to ply the interstellar trade routes.

The Starfinder Core Rulebook includes some guidelines for how PCs can acquire the BP they need to build and upgrade their first starship—via salvage, favors, or an arrangement with a friendly spacedock, for instance. In this case, Build Points represent much more than simple credits and become exclusively useful through the starship creation system, staying separate from the methods by which PCs buy their personal equipment. This separation provides an important distinction because if PCs had the ability to exchange Build Points for credits, they could end up underpowered in starship combat while simultaneously overpowered in all their other encounters.

In the rules presented here, Build Points roughly represent the party’s business capital. That capital has many components, including the PCs’ available credit, loans they’ve taken out, and assets they might use as collateral. PCs use this capital to make big purchases, like cargo or starship modifications, often with financing help from a bank or other establishment.

To begin, the PCs receive a number of Build Points determined by their Average Party Level (APL) as noted in Table 9–1: Starship Base Statistics on page 294 of the Starfinder Core Rulebook. They should use this BP to build their starship; you might want to remind the PCs that their vessel needs plenty of room for cargo and that they’ll have to spend a few BP to purchase that cargo. (The PCs in “We’re No Heroes” receive a prebuilt starship and earn a few extra BP by the end of the adventure.)
    My initial thought was to just add BP as a currency, and I did that in my campaign. However, the character sheet does not have enough lines to support multiple currencies. So, my first request would be to alter the character sheet to allow this.

What happened in my game was I added credits and BP into a parcel. I dropped it in the party window. Then, when I distributed, it stuck both the credits and BP as text in the little box to the right of the currencies instead of applying currencies to the line where they belong.

I think simply expanding the character sheet to make the multiple currencies work is enough functionality to support the advanced rules. A more ideal or advance solution would be to have them as a currency that saves in the Ship party screen instead of character sheets when you disperse the parcel.

Well I'd categorize this as a feature request. Since the Starship system has gotten a large rework recently I'm not sure if this will be updated to support Alternative BP in the more recent feature (but maybe, Superteddy has been suprising with features before).

The Player Sheet solution however, should work. There are three lines in each Players Inventory for currencies and an additional box. All of these can be edited. By default it has Credits, UPB and Income in there but you could replace for example Income if you don't use it and put BP in there. After that if you distribute BP to the party it will go in there instead of the box just like it does with credits.
    My Forge Page
    Discord: @evolivolution
    Ultimate License (FGU)
    Timezone: Z+1

WTF is Paizo thinking with all these mashup rules that break any kind of conventions? It's like they purposely add **** that breaks any kind of VTT capabilities
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolivolution View Post
    Well I'd categorize this as a feature request. Since the Starship system has gotten a large rework recently I'm not sure if this will be updated to support Alternative BP in the more recent feature (but maybe, Superteddy has been suprising with features before).

The Player Sheet solution however, should work. There are three lines in each Players Inventory for currencies and an additional box. All of these can be edited. By default it has Credits, UPB and Income in there but you could replace for example Income if you don't use it and put BP in there. After that if you distribute BP to the party it will go in there instead of the box just like it does with credits.
    Tried your solution with replacing Income with BP and my parcel worked perfectly. Hopefully FG will consider adding another line to the financial assets area to allow for BP. Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even think of those lines as being editable.

Spoilers Below!

The tracking of BP through the whole AP other than Starship BP is not all that substantial. So it can be kept in the Party sheet without much trouble. The BP that the party gets are most likely going to be spent on more cargo for most of the adventure.

You can also just create an item to track it in the inventory list as well.

Madman..
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Thread Information