STAR TREK 2d20

Q: Is it okay to post recreations of official wotc maps?

I've been running Waterdeep Dragon Heist and have been using Dungeondraft to make more colorful maps. I was wondering: is it okay to share those maps here? I know sharing my own creations is okay, but I'm concerned because I'm using the basic floorplan/layout of maps created by someone else for an official adventure.

As @damned eludes to - it's not a clear-cut answer.

If you're directly copying something WotC has done, but in a different style, then it can be argued that you're making a copy of their IP. It's a grey area, maybe you'd be OK, maybe you wouldn't...
    However, WotC have created a place where you can do things like this, and that's the DMs Guild. You could put the maps on there for free, or pay-what-you-want. This should avoid any issues or grey-areas. If course it's more steps to go through, but at least it should keep you out of any potential hot water.

You also need to be aware of the restrictions around the art assets you use in Dungeondraft - check any assets you're using.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm not interested in selling, just making them available to whoever wants it. For dungeondraft, I'm using a few assets, including Forgotten Adventures, but my understanding is that as long as it's not commercial (or commercial but less than a certain amount) it's okay. I might consider putting it on dmsguild for free if I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    For dungeondraft, I'm using a few assets, including Forgotten Adventures, but my understanding is that as long as it's not commercial (or commercial but less than a certain amount) it's okay.
    You'll need to check for each asset source you use, as each artist could have different requirements.

For Forgotten Adventures refer to the "Copyright and Commercial Use" section of their website here: https://www.forgotten-adventures.net/info/ Where there's full details of how you can use their assets in fan created material.

I know it can seem like more hassle than it's worth when you just want to share something you've put together with the community for free. But we all have to adhere to the requirements of any assets we use (including providing credit, etc.) and be aware of any copyright/usage issues we might run into.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    The other option to distribute free content that you can use on this site is the Wizard's Fan Content policy. https://company.wizards.com/en/legal/fancontentpolicy

I think what you want to do falls well within that category. I suspect the only time it wouldn't is if you were to some how make it possible to bypass the purchase of the official FG module (i.e. restriction #3 of the Policy).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I was curious about this question too, because I just created some nice maps for a module with dungeon draft and forgotten adventures. I submitted a ticket to WOTC to ask specifically about it:

Hello,
    I am creating my own renditions of the maps from old adventure modules (Basic, 1st, and 2nd Edition AD&D) using Dungeondraft software, and would like confirmation that I can make these available for free under the Fan Content Policy. It was not explicitly stated in the policy that this is allowed for maps, but my interpretation of the policy is that it IS allowed. Can you please confirm this?

Their response:
    Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Customer Support! You have received this email in response to your request to use certain Wizards’ intellectual property. We are responding to let you know that upon review of the description of your project, it looks like your request is covered by our Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy, which you can find here.

Wizards is not providing special permissions for use of our intellectual property outside of what is allowed via the Fan Content Policy. If you’re unsure if your project complies with our Fan Content Policy, we recommend you seek advice from your own legal counsel. We do not offer the service of advising compliance with legal documents like our Fan Content Policy. We very much appreciate your patience and cooperation with this matter.

So we're good to go as long as you make the fan disclaimer they mention in their policy! The same with forgotten adventures.

Thread Information