DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Looking to start playing CoC 7E on Fantasy Grounds

Hi looking to get started run CoC on FG i am going to get the main rule book and investigator book.
    So look for a good starter campaign and some one off to get me and my plays going.
    thanks for any and all help

Quote Originally Posted by OB1Sean View Post
    Hi looking to get started run CoC on FG i am going to get the main rule book and investigator book.
    So look for a good starter campaign and some one off to get me and my plays going.
    Welcome! I've been running a Pulp Cthulhu chronicle (The Two-Headed Serpent) on FG for the last few months. I've also run classic CoC scenarios. It's been a great tool. Originally started because of the pandemic. Now we sit at the table, still using FG.

Quote Originally Posted by OB1Sean View Post
    I'm a brand-new Keeper, so I can totally relate to what you want to do. I've been running Shadow Over Providence (with Pulp Cthulhu rules, but set in 1924), and my players and I absolutely love it. While the scenario is minimalistic in nature, it has a lot of room for customization. I watched the creator of the scenario take a group through it in a series of YouTube videos and got some great additional ideas for play (which I REALLY wish he had included in the product).

One thing to note is that although CoC is largely a "theater of the mind" RPG, I still find maps to be handy sometimes (especially when it comes to combat). So, I've been using DungeonDraft to create maps that I can import into FG. It can be a challenge to find map assets that fit the 1920s, but I've managed to do it for the most part.

I also incorporate a ton of images (mostly sourced from Google images) to enhance play. For example, Shape Over Providence deals with an exhibit of Egyptian artifacts. Rather than use the images that came with the scenario (which, frankly, are lackluster), I took the time to find an actual photographic image to use. All of my players have commented on how that has greatly enhanced their gaming experience.

I hope this helps.

I'm just beginning the setup for my 1st campaign and I'll ditto finding appropriate map assets as being a problem. I use Campaign Cartographer 3 for which I own all of the 3 big addons and then some and 1920's era assets are scarce. Fortunately via my previous use of CC3 to create maps for an early 30's setting, I'd acquired some. It does help that CoC7 is well suited to TOTM style of play, but it's still nice to have some assets for those few combat encounters where a map can really help. Otherwise, good luck finding VTT maps that're 1920's themed.

I made the mistake of initially only buying the Keepers Guide, but learned quickly there's issues with building your own occupations - can't add multiple choice fields which more or less breaks them. There's older forum posts here about a work around by editing XML files, but I found changes in the rules since those posts have broken that capability. So good thing you bought the Investigators book too. The CoC7 ruleset is locked down solid, so if you're a FG GM/Keeper that's used to homebrewing some custom extensions, that isn't going to happen for you with this ruleset. I'm adapting a series of adventures I'd previously written for Shadows over Cthulhu for the True20 TTRPG, but difficulties with adding my own content had been making me think that buying pre-written might be the only viable way to go. So I think your plan to buy a starter campaign is a good one. I own the Doors to Darkness PDF which is also available for CoC7 FG. I haven't read much of it, but what I have has been very good and I've noted it's gotten good reviews on drivetrhurpg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    ::snip:: ...by editing XML files, but I found changes in the rules since those posts have broken that capability. So good thing you bought the Investigators book too. The CoC7 ruleset is locked down solid, so if you're a FG GM/Keeper that's used to homebrewing some custom extensions, that isn't going to happen for you with this ruleset.
    The vast majority of data anyone would need to learn to tweak can be found in your campaign db.xml same as any other ruleset. You can also request features (totally up to the two developers) be added, or in a pinch, ask one of them if they will show you the ruleset data schema so you can code an extension... Can't hurt to ask, basically.

Thanks for all the help I think pulp will work the best as 2 of my players love hitting stuff and are very upset when we don’t so we are moving from Dnd.
    Go to try run 2-headed serpent think they will like that one.

Thread Information