DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

What do I need to properly play PF2?

Hello guys, how are you doing? I'm a 5e D&D DM and I'm looking to try out PF2. What books/modules do I need to properly play it for the first time?
    Also, how "playable" is it on FGU? On 5e dnd you kinda have to automate and do the syntax for most of the racial passives, class features etc. I assume is the same on PF2 or even more so? For example, does FGU automates flat-footed, etc? (I kinda know the flat-footed mechanic because I played Pathfinder: Kingmaker cRpg).
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudstar View Post
    Hello guys, how are you doing? I'm a 5e D&D DM and I'm looking to try out PF2. What books/modules do I need to properly play it for the first time?
    You could theoretically enter in all the information yourself using the Archive of Nethys as reference, but this will take a long time (I've manually entered some playtest stuff, and it took me a couple days per class, and they are less than half the size of the Core Rulebook classes when you compare the number of feats and spells available, and I didn't have any skill feats, general feats, the massive amount of items, ancestries and their ancestry feats, or the 4 major spell lists to add). Doing it yourself could take weeks of work unless you know enough coding to create your own parser to import it.

Depending on the options you want to provide your players, the Core Rulebook at the very least is recommended, and the Bestiaries unless you want to manually add monsters during your session prep. If you are not aware, if you own the PDF on Paizo's website, you can link your FG and Paizo accounts to get a discount on the modules here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chudstar View Post
    Also, how "playable" is it on FGU? On 5e dnd you kinda have to automate and do the syntax for most of the racial passives, class features etc. I assume is the same on PF2 or even more so? For example, does FGU automates flat-footed, etc? (I kinda know the flat-footed mechanic because I played Pathfinder: Kingmaker cRpg).
    Thank you.
    PF2 is very playable. Not everything is automated yet, Trenloe does have to eat and sleep after all. Conditions, including flat footed, are coded into the ruleset, and will apply the appropriate modifier (-2 AC for FF) when applied to a player or NPC. FGU WILL NOT automatically detect if a player is flanking and apply the condition though, you or your players will have to drop the condition on the appropriate target, and remove when it no longer applies. Most conditions that expire on the end of a turn will automatically remove themselves however, like Frightened.

Many Racial passives are automated, and applied when the proper ancestry or ancestry feat is applied, but not necessarily all of them. The ruleset and the modules get regular updates however, so any that are missing won't be for too long. You can tell if an option has automation that will be applied to the character by the bold "A" symbol.

The automation also includes weapon and armor proficiency if the character creation tracker is followed, and resistances, immunities, weaknesses, etc will properly apply. The system can also handle PF2's crit system. Just recently, Trenloe improved on how spell saves are handled, and the system can properly tell which effect to apply to its targets, but still requires a button click.

As for automation that is still missing, many actions that require you to roll a check against a DC do not work, you cannot roll against a Perception or skill DC as of yet. This affects thinks like Grabbing, Intimidating (Demoralizing), and Feinting in combat. It's in the works, but no ETA. Also coming is range detection between a targets, and a few others. Refer to Trenloe's post here to see what is planned for the next year or so.

What @kaernunnos says.

The Core Rules is pretty much a must have IMO.

If you're running an adventure from the store all data from the product with the addition of data from other products needed to run that adventure.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

And now's a great time to get into PF2 on Fantasy Grounds - lots of new content (ruleset functionality and products), video guidelines, Fantasy Grounds College are running a lot of PF2 specific events, and... a big sale has just started with over 60 PF2 products on sale (basically everything that wasn't released within the last 3 months).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you @Trenloe and @kaernunnos for the answers. I think I will give it a go. Any good starter adventure to start with? I think for now I will get the core rulebook, the bestiary 1 and some good starter adventure.
    Any other books I should get if I really get into the PF2 system?

Thanks again! Cheers

The Beginner's Box should be good for new players but is not completely out yet (I think in a few weeks from what I've read). I am starting my PF2 experience this friday with a one-shot https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ZOSMWPZO9500FG. There are also many bounties which are beginner friendly iirc.

Mostly the books which extend the player's possibilities, Advanced Player's Guide for example, are relevant for many people. But those can also come in later after you've got your feet wet. Keep it simply for everyone in the beginning! Now is a good time to get some books because of the big sale as @Trenloe said.
    Last edited by Zarestia; June 24th, 2021 at 16:39. Reason: grammar

Look at the Pathfinder One-Shots! Sundered Waves is a great 4-6 hour adventure that my groups have LOVED going through and we're excited to give Dinner at Lionlodge a go soon. Alternatively, the Free RPG Day module released last year (Little Trouble in Big Absalom) is wonderful and a great start as well.

Outside of that, take a look at the Advanced Player's Guide for more options across the board. And finally, all of the rules for Pathfinder Second Edition are distributed for free as part of the Open Gaming License - go check out everything on the official System Reference Document (SRD) over at the Archives of Nethys for every rule, class, spell, ancestry, heritage, and more!

"Fall of Plaguestone" is a good level 1 adventure to start with.

The one-shot adventures are great, but some of them aren't level 1 and the PCs, and encounters, may be a bit too complex for starting out with PF2.

The Beginner box would be great, but it's still 3-4 weeks (at least) off release - nearly there, but the final compilation of all components and then the review process across two companies is still to be done.

Great. Thanks both of you @Zarestia and @AlaskanFalcon for the responses. I will take a look at those you guys mentioned.

I've just started my first PF2 campaign and went with the Abomination Vaults. Loving it so far

Thread Information