DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Encounter faction not transferring to the combat tracker

Is there a reason why NPC faction doesn't transfer to the combat tracker when you click the 'Add encounter to combat tracker' button?

Which ruleset are you using?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I just tested it in the base 5E ruleset; and it appears to work as expected (i.e. factions copied to combat tracker from encounter when clicking the Add Encounter button)

* Are you adding creatures a different way than the Add Full Encounter button?
    * Which ruleset (i.e. game system) are you running?
    * Do you have any extensions loaded in your campaign?

Regards,
    JPG

I usually have loads of extensions loaded so I created a new 5E game loading only the DMG, PHB and the Monster Manual with no extensions at all. I created several encounters with NPCs set in a variety of combinations of factions, placing the NPCs and saving the encounters. Then run the encounters by clicking the down-arrow at the bottom of the encounters to add the encounters to the map & combat tracker. Most went well but all of the NPCs set to "Faction" were added to the CT as enemy. See attached screenshot.Encounter factions to CT.jpg. Oops, bottom left encounter should have been labelled "Neutral & Neutral"
    Last edited by Moriarity; June 23rd, 2021 at 17:26. Reason: correction

That's correct. If no faction defined, then the default faction for adding NPCs to the combat tracker is used. (i.e. foe)

Regards,
    JPG

A misunderstanding then... I had thought that "Faction" was something distinct; something to indicate the local militia, a local guildsman or the like - not enemy, not friendly and not neutral. So, if 'Faction' doesn't mean anything, what's it there for? If Faction defaults to Enemy, why not just default the encounter NPC to Enemy when they are added to the encounter and why is there a distinct "Faction" option in the CT?
    Last edited by Moriarity; June 23rd, 2021 at 17:42.

If not defined, it uses the default ("foe"). If defined, it uses the specified value (friend/foe/neutral).

It was always assumed that anyone not friend/foe would be considered neutral until shown otherwise.

Regards,
    JPG

Hmmm - given that explanation, shouldn't the default be Neutral? Also, given that explanation, I still don't see why there is a distinct "Faction" option on the CT. Never mind; I'll learn to live with it - thanks for the response.

You may not know you can use the fraction button to drag out all of the NPC/PCS of that particular faction and drop them on the map. This is most useful for dropping PCs on a new map or moving them in mass, ie teleport trap. For Foes, it's useful for random or other non set place encounters that do not have a preset positions on a map. You can add the encounter to the tracker and then drag and drop the monsters onto the map.

The current setup is due to a request to be able to add NPC's to an encounter that are friendly or neutral, but it defaults back to foe so as not to invalidate every encounter made up to the time that change.

Yes, I did know you can drag specific factions onto the map. I still don't see your point though. Adding NPCs directly to the CT always sets them up as Hostile and there are only three mass-move/teleport icons that only work with friendly, neutral and hostile. So I'm still non the wiser but thanks for trying to explain. I think it's best left at that.

Thread Information