5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Benefits of purchasing PHB with Demo version of FGU

My GM has the ultimate version of FGU so I join his 5E campaign games using the demo version of FG. Am I able to purchase the D&D Players Hand Book to use with my demo version and, if so, would there be any benefits of having the PHB with the demo version?

I'm not at all certain that you'll be able to buy the PHB if you don't have a license and even if you can I'm not sure that you'll be able to access it.

But to amswer your question I don't think there's any benefit. If your DM has it and shares it with you and you create your character using it then there's not need for you to have your own copy. The only upside I suppose is that if you can access it with the demo you can read it when not connected to your DM.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    As Zacc says, I'm also not sure you can access purchased DLC without a license (ie. 'demo' user) but the main advantage would be that you'd be able to create/maintain your characters on your own without needing to connect to your GMs server to do it. That's a huge plus for Organized Play (Adventurers League for D&D) players as well, since they're likely to have a different GM each session.

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to be able to purchase the PHB so I could 'read up' out of game time and to be able to create a character with PHB skills, abilities, spells, etc and then to export it and send to my GM for inclusion in his campaign.

There's nothing stopping you testing it by trying to buy the PHB and then trying to use it. If it all works then great. If not then Smiteworks offers a no quibble 30 day money back guarantee (provided you purchase from the store and not from Steam).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

About demo: Demo users can access purchased stuff in FGU (not in FGC! That changed with unity among other demo-related things)

Can you confirm that PHB and other modules can be opened with demo version of FGU? would be nice to know for my players especially now for the summer sales
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

Quote Originally Posted by *Neuro* View Post
    Can you confirm that PHB and other modules can be opened with demo version of FGU? would be nice to know for my players especially now for the summer sales
    I once tested it with a demo license

You can test it yourself if you want: Start FGU as usual, go to settings and erase your license key information and update again (such that it registers you now as a free user). Start a campaign and you should still be able to access all your modules

Thats interesting, because under the PHB entry in the shop it states:

“Requirements: This content requires an active license to download and use.“

For FGC, it does require an active license; which was when the PHB DLC product was created and can still be purchased.
    For FGU, it does not require an active license; but an active license is required to host a game.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information