STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Classic: Network Warning - Download Error - Extension Folder

Hey folks looking for some help if possible.

FGC is stuck on 'Downloading Files', and there are a literal ton of messages in the console file that all start with the following:
    Network Warning: Download error for file 'extension/{path-and-file}'; connecting to host; Retrying.
    It seems to be for a tons of extensions. Some additional details on the setup:
    - Running on W10, running FG as Admin
    - Network is Private
    - FG 'stuff' is set up as allowed through firewall
    - Have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times
    - Have deleted FGC and installed
    - Have deleted extensions folder and ran update
    - No errors/blocks/activities show in AV logs

After the above, still getting those download errors.

Thoughts? Thanks folks!

Blog Entries
    Check your router and other network devices for Flood Protection/QoS/Parental controls setting.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Check your router and other network devices for Flood Protection/QoS/Parental controls setting.
    Thanks for the above, but nothing's changed since I connected last month, it just stopped being able to get to those extensions...

Quote Originally Posted by BikerGeek View Post
    Thanks for the above, but nothing's changed since I connected last month, it just stopped being able to get to those extensions...
    Welcome to the FG forums.

Saying "nothing's changed" is not an accurate statement when it comes to computers. They're updating (especially networking devices and security software) all the time. So it's best to double check everything to see if there has been any changes that you're unaware of. Because, if it worked before, and it doesn't now - something *has* changed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Every time you switch on your computer something will have changed. There have been updates to FG, updates to windows updates to your anti virus, could also have been updates to the software or firmware of your router.

What you are seeing certainly looks like either anti virus blocking the updater or some form of flood protection preventing files from downloading after a certain amount of bytes/time.

I would certainly redo any exceptions in your Av (especially if you use Windows Defender). delete any old rules and renew them. Access your router and check flood protection and/or parental controls or similar things. Also you should not need to run FG in admin mode. If you are having to do that then that suggests si,e other deeper problem.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome to the FG forums.

Saying "nothing's changed" is not an accurate statement when it comes to computers. They're updating (especially networking devices and security software) all the time. So it's best to double check everything to see if there has been any changes that you're unaware of. Because, if it worked before, and it doesn't now - something *has* changed.
    True, so, aside from the above that I listed, what else might I be able to check that might cause the above?

What is an example error message you're getting? The one in post #1 looks like it's been edited and doesn't look 100% accurate. If it is 100% accurate then that might at least point to the problem -as there isn't a \extension directory for FG - it's \extensions (with an s).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's almost always some sort of security/filtering/throttling software on your computer or router settings that cause issues like that.

Also, some Internet providers (like Comcast/Cox) provide "advanced" security settings which will actually block peer-to-peer connections, unless you "re-allow" every 30 days.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What is an example error message you're getting? The one in post #1 looks like it's been edited and doesn't look 100% accurate. If it is 100% accurate then that might at least point to the problem -as there isn't a \extension directory for FG - it's \extensions (with an s).
    @Trenloe, per the screen cap from the console file, it shows as 'extension', singular
    console1.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BikerGeek; June 21st, 2021 at 21:59.

At a guess it looks like the host has changed the folder name to extension rather than extensions as Trenloe pointed out above.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information