DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Modling Rooftops

Hi All,

So, I've got a character with lots of jumping capability. I'm wondering if there is a nice way model vision of being on a "roof" of a building with the new LOS system. Here's my problem:

Walls block LOS, and on the map a character may jump or move to the top of the building.

Is there a way to move a character so that they are 'on top' of the building (and therefore cannot see INTO the building, but don't suffer the obstruction of the walls.

I suspect the answer is no, but I"m curious if this has been brought up before and/or if there some work arounds that people might suggest.

Thanks

Yes, the answer is no. Maps are 2D and what you need is 3D. You can make the buildings terrain rather than have walls. But if there's an inside to the building then you'll need the walls.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I suspected as much. Is there a way to use the layers to make like a 'roof' layer that just masks the buildings (and then I could disable LOS for that character maybe)?

I wanted to check more on layers, but the wiki page appears blank:

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...set+-+Layering

Blog Entries
    Sure you can put it on layers, but LOS and layer visibility can not be controlled on a per character basis. All or nothing.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Drat. Well worth asking.

As an aside - is there a way to make some tokens ignore walls, or put tokens on a seperate layer? (that way, even if they can't see the area, I can at least position them on the map) without revealing inside?

Not really, I mean the GM can hold shift and move tokens anywhere - but I think you want something where the player does the moving? What you are looking for requires multiple maps. You could do one of the rooftops only and one of the building interiors with walls. As mentioned you are trying to use height on 2D maps that don't usually support it.

It did occur to me you might be able to use the mask to block seeing the interior of the buildings but the GM would definitely need to move the token since players can't enter masked areas.

Blog Entries
    I usually draw roofs as a pair of terrain occluders. That's for a normal pitched roof with a single ridgeline. Players can move into the area and see out of it (and see into it). I think that should work well in most cases. Since PCs on the ground won't be able to see through them, but they will see the roof of the building (which is normally fine). A player can move into it on their own.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Im getting ready to introduce the new LOS system to the players - and I just know the first thing one of them is going to do is try to get 'above' everything to get a better view. Figure I should be prepared for some work around.

Is there a workup on how the different wall/terrain/LOS options work in the wiki - I found some base stuff, but I'm not sure if it explains everything: or is it only in walk through videos?

Thread Information