Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to connect to yourself?

I have the following problem. I have the FGII full version, and would like to both host a game, and fire up another instance of the program to join that game. Now, well, it doesn't work, even though I hear it should.

Now I wonder, is there anything that can be done to make it to work? I can host and join other games normally without problem. I've searched the forum on the matter but uncovered nothing of help.

And of course, joining in from my laptop doesn't work because it uses the same license key, so that's no option.

Would be extremely thankfull to anyone who can help me with this.
    Play? Yes DM? No Days: Sat Time: 8:00-18:00 CET, Weekdays bi-weekly Time: 14:00 - 20:00

Did you change the User Name on the launcher to something else than what is the User Name of the Host instance? What address did you write to the Host address field? "localhost" (without the quotes) as the address seems to work.

The way Ged describes it works for me....

Thanks for the help, but after a few hours of tweaking my router, I finally managed to do it.
    Play? Yes DM? No Days: Sat Time: 8:00-18:00 CET, Weekdays bi-weekly Time: 14:00 - 20:00

The key is changing the username you log in with and using localhost or 127.0.0.1 (or is that another 0?). That's the way I test things.

Quote Originally Posted by NymTevlyn
    The key is changing the username you log in with and using localhost or 127.0.0.1 (or is that another 0?). That's the way I test things.
    Aha, so that was the easiest trick. Thanks NymTelvin.

I'm dense. I think I understood almost everything in this thread, but I'm still not sure about:

1) Is it possible to connect with a client instance to a host instance installed on the very same computer, or must the two instances be installed on separate computers?

2) If it is possible to run two instances on the same computer, must I install the program twice, each to a different directory in Windows' "Program Files" folder? Or can I run both instances from the same .exe?

3) To connect simultaneously as a client and host, is it necessary to have two unique license keys (that is, buy two copies of FGII, at least one of which must be the full version)? Or can I use the same license key (the full version) for both instances?

1. You can run a host an player instance on the same computer.
    2. You don't have to install twice. Just run it twice and select host the first time and player the second time. Connect to localhost using a different name.
    3. You don't need seperate licenses.

Awesome! Thank you for the quick reply. This is great!

And don't forget that one client instance can run all the characters if needs be (which is how I aim to use FG in the next tabletop campaign I run)

Thread Information