STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Comm.throwDice does not process rolls in the same way as /die?

the problem is as follows (FGU, CoreRPG, no extensions):

if you type /die (2*3)d6 in the FG chat correctly rolls 6 dice and display the result.

if you try to do the same by code, as in the following example:

Code:
    local rThrow = {};
    rThrow.type = "dice";
    rThrow.description = "description";
    rThrow.secret = false;
    rThrow.shortcuts = {};        
    table.insert(rThrow.shortcuts, {});    

local rRoll = {};
    rRoll.nMod = 0;
    rRoll.aDice = "(2*3)d6";   

local rSlot = {};
    rSlot.number = rRoll.nMod;
    rSlot.dice = rRoll.aDice;
    rSlot.metadata = rRoll;
    rThrow.slots = { rSlot };

Comm.throwDice(rThrow);
    the chat shows the 6d6 message but it only rolls 1d6.
    Ruleset Wizard
    The Ruleset Development Environment
    www.rulesetwizard.com
    Ruleset Wizard Tutorials
    Damned's Ruleset Wizard Tutorials

rRoll.aDice isn't a string. It's an array of dice. To roll six dice, you'd need: rRoll.aDice = {"d6","d6","d6","d6","d6","d6"}

To make the number of dice dependent on a calculation, you'd need to put the creation of the array into a for loop.
    Code:
    local number = (2*3);
    local type = "d6";
    local dice = {};
    for i = 1, number, 1 do
        table.insert(dice, type);
    end
    Comm.throwDice("dice", dice, bonus, name);
    Last edited by Valarian; June 13th, 2021 at 11:53.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Nevermind, Valarian answered it better while I was typing, LOL

Yes, but it can also receive a string instead of an array. It is a feature that was added some time ago. In the example above if you send "6d6" it works.

The question is why the /die command works with mathematical operations and throwDice does not.
    Ruleset Wizard
    The Ruleset Development Environment
    www.rulesetwizard.com
    Ruleset Wizard Tutorials
    Damned's Ruleset Wizard Tutorials

Blog Entries
    psicodelix see this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post549627

With the most recent update, any Comm.throwDice calls will now rebuild the individual dice entries for you, if dice.expr is set in the table passed to Comm.throwDice, and no individual dice are specified.
    Ex:
    local rThrow = { type = "dice", description = "COMPLEX ROLL", slots = { #1 = { dice = { expr = "4d6d2" }, number = 0 } } };
    Comm.throwDice(rThrow);

Also, I updated the ActionsManager global script in CoreRPG used by many layered rulesets to pass through roll tables that do not specify individual dice
    Ex:
    local rRoll = { sType = "dice", sDesc = "COMPLEX ROLL", aDice = { expr = "4d6d2" }, nMod = 0 };
    ActionsManager.performAction(nil, nil, rRoll);

Quote Originally Posted by psicodelix View Post
    Yes, but it can also receive a string instead of an array. It is a feature that was added some time ago. In the example above if you send "6d6" it works.

The question is why the /die command works with mathematical operations and throwDice does not.
    It's good to know that I can send dice commands that way. I think I was still using the old way of adding dice so that FGC would cooperate.

As to the second part, does the /die command use a separate/different parsing function than throwDice? Or do they both call the same function to parse the die rolls?

Also, the way psicodelix was putting "(2*3)d6" as a string, lua will not convert the 2*3 into 6 before sending it to the die parser. But the /die command might be looking for numbers and doing the math before putting the result into the die string to send to the die parser.

I guess I should clarify. I knew you could use the /die command inside FG for the complex rolls. I just meant I didn't know you could put "6d6" into rRoll.aDice and have it work inside an extension/ruleset.

The other part I'm still wondering about. I honestly have no clue how the Comm.throwDice() function is implemented. Does it call the /die command function?

DataCommon.onInit() contains the following line of code:

Code:
    if not UtilityManager.isClientFGU() then Comm.registerSlashHandler("die", processDie); end
    So it is apparently different between FGC and FGU. /die is built-in in FGU?

Thread Information