FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Torch inventory item and fall off for light effects

Heya!

I was trying to test whether an equipped torch on a PC would automatically act as a light source. My testing says no but is there a way to make a torch item that has a lighting effect attached to it, so I wouldnt have to manually add a lighting effect to the player token each time he equips a torch?

And my second question, when I'm adding new lights to the effects list, I'm using "LIGHT: 15 / 25 torch", but is there a way to add fall-off values to this string?

Thank you!

Welcome to the FG forums!

Some rulesets allow effects attached to items, others don't. What ruleset are you using?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome to the FG forums!

Some rulesets allow effects attached to items, others don't. What ruleset are you using?
    5E is what I'm working with, using demo account to try out things with provided modules.

Blog Entries
    Nope, that ruleset does not (currently) allow effects to be tied to items. UNLESS you use one of the community extensions that allow you to attach effects to items. Sorry, can't recommend one as I don't use them. Check the 5E forums and the DMsGuild.com.

As for controlling falloff in a string, not supported.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It should be noted that you can add an effect to the PC or NPC token in the combat tracker and then just make it active or not - so there is usually no need to add lighting more than once per PC that needs them. You might want to take a look at Video 20 in the "How do I ????? in Unity" thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-do-I-in-Unity

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Nope, that ruleset does not (currently) allow effects to be tied to items. UNLESS you use one of the community extensions that allow you to attach effects to items. Sorry, can't recommend one as I don't use them.
    highly recommend: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...cs-characters)

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    As for controlling falloff in a string, not supported.
    Alright, good to know. Another lights question, I see that I can create preset token lights like the torch, candle, lantern etc. but having appended "campfire" to the list, I see it in effects, but I don't see it under "add light" -> presets. Is it supposed to? It seems to list the same items as token light presets, but doesn't seem to update if I add new ones via options -> token lights.

Any new lights you create won’t appear in the drop down list. Those you’ll need to add via an effect in the actions tab or directly from the effects dialog.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

campfire.PNG

light presets.png

Pics to illustrate what I mean. I've added a new light effect from the effects dialog. However, having added the "campfire", it does not appear in the light presets in the map editor. Should it?

Yes, I was aware of what you meant. I think you may be misunderstanding however what those lights are. As the name suggests those are token lights; and are therefore meant to be added to a token rather than directly onto a map. You would add such presets either directly from the effects dialog or from an effect on the character sheet. Something like a campfire is the kind of light you would place directly on a map - rather than on a token.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information