STAR TREK 2d20

Emergent hex crawl in FG

In my first pass searching the forum, I did not have luck, so will ask directly here...

Had anyone ran a hex crawl in FG where the map is generated "as you go along" (that likely means the hex map is edited, then reshared?) My thinking is that the FG editing tools can now allow for such a thing through stamps and maybe layers. For example, use paint stamps to draw in the next hex on the map, leaving small portions blank because these areas are simply unknown to anyone yet. I'm not finding many image resources (like said stamps) for such a thing in the FG Store.

I am aware I could generate a map in a separate utility and then export the whole map via JPG and use fog-of-war and whatnot.

Can anything be done all self-contained in FG to draw the hex map as we go? If you've been down this road before, what tools did you end up using? How about what image resources did you use? What things did you run in to in your own experiments?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinlee View Post
    In my first pass searching the forum, I did not have luck, so will ask directly here...

Had anyone ran a hex crawl in FG where the map is generated "as you go along" (that likely means the hex map is edited, then reshared?) My thinking is that the FG editing tools can now allow for such a thing through stamps and maybe layers. For example, use paint stamps to draw in the next hex on the map, leaving small portions blank because these areas are simply unknown to anyone yet. I'm not finding many image resources (like said stamps) for such a thing in the FG Store.

I am aware I could generate a map in a separate utility and then export the whole map via JPG and use fog-of-war and whatnot.

Can anything be done all self-contained in FG to draw the hex map as we go? If you've been down this road before, what tools did you end up using? How about what image resources did you use? What things did you run in to in your own experiments?
    I don't have any experience with this Hexplorer Map Tiles from Headless Hydra Press, but you might take a look at their products: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-bundle-bundle

According to the description, the map tiles are provided as individual PNG files with a resolution of 524x452. If I were to use them, I would consider batch converting them in Photoshop or Gimp to maybe half the resolution and save them as Webp to reduce the file sizes. As is, you should be able to use paint stamps with grid snapping on and a grid size of 452x452 and they should snap right into place.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinlee View Post

I don't think there is a way to do exactly what you are asking. FOr my hexcrawls, I use lighting to hide the areas the PCs cannot see. I use a separate NPC for them to use on that map (a horse) and add lighting to it to show what the party can see in their immediate vicinity. I also add a light to each location they have searched (I preemptively put lighting on any major populated areas the party would already know about).

The info, and hexes, provided by Carl in post #2 works very well.

Here's an example using the hexes from the "Hexplorer: Digital Hex Map Tiles" product (included in the bundle Carl links) and the setup he mentions - I'd add my vote to Carl's recommendation of reducing the resolution of the hex images by half.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've used that and they look good. But, after about 3 or so hexes out, the FGU get unaligned from the images. It gets worse progressively as you go out from there. If you're making a big map, it can bog down the controls, but I think that's pretty common with any big image files in FGU. I found making the map in one campaign and then exporting the map as an image makes it run better on the campaign you actually run for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by claedawg View Post
    I've used that and they look good. But, after about 3 or so hexes out, the FGU get unaligned from the images. It gets worse progressively as you go out from there.
    Sounds like the images weren't quite the right size for the hex grid (or vice versa), and as a result the grid snap (if that was on) wasn't able to snap the images accurately. Using the settings mentioned previously I've made a test image with over 50 hexes and all of them are aligned correctly.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information