5E Character Create Playlist

Using a SIngle Party Token with Dynamic Lighting Shared by All Players

Hi,

I'm a GM who would like to use a single party token with dynamic lighting to be shared by all players on an "overworld" type of map. Is this possible? And, how to do it?

We are playing Curse of Strahd and I think that it would be fun to have the overworld map hidden from view in a shroud of fog (represented as darkness). I'd rather not have each player put their token on the map because it is tedious and confusing with regard to where the party actually is.

It seems to me like the best way to achieve this would be to make a placeholder PC or NPC that is then "owned" by all of the players. I have no idea if this can be done and can't see any way to test it until multiple players are actually on the server. My searches on this topic have turned up nothing. So, I'm asking the question here.

Make a Party Token and turn on Party Vision in Option/Settings. Then everyone can see the same thing on the Barovia maps.

Blog Entries
    I think you can also right click on the token on the map and "Add to Party Vision". Not sure if it has to be a CT token or not, sorry, have only heard it discussed and have not yet played with it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBunnyFox View Post

We are playing Curse of Strahd and I think that it would be fun to have the overworld map hidden from view in a shroud of fog (represented as darkness).
    I've done exactly that, in the same adventure, for the same reasons, in the way described by Jiminimonka. It works, but tbh I abandoned it after a while as it just added an extra level of complexity to an already complex game and slowed it down too much. I gave the players a map of Barovia instead, it made life easier for everybody. I'm still experimenting with it, I've found that one advantage of having the Party token in the CT is you can apply Effects to it, e.g. limited vision to represent the restricted vision in mist:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alea iacta est

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Make a Party Token and turn on Party Vision in Option/Settings. Then everyone can see the same thing on the Barovia maps.
    Thanks. This seemed to work. But, I'm still uncertain about the particulars regarding how and why.

All of my players could see the single token for the "PC Party" NPC that I created to serve as a placeholder on the over-world map. But, I'm wondering if they would have seen any and all tokens that I put on the map.

This "party vision and movement" setting is in the global settings under the "Token (GM)" heading. Changing global settings is not ideal because I want to set it up differently on the over-world map than on town maps and battle maps. As a workaround, I manually toggled the setting on and off when I loaded different maps for my players.

It would be better if you could change these settings on a per map - or better, per token - basis.

Thread Information