Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New character sheet mock-up

I made a quick mock up as a proof of concept for what a section of the character sheet could look like. This in my mind is better than what I have seen here or foundry. this will allow for specific relative effects from PC's to NPC's. I don't know if the core program allows for such an extension but I would appreciate it if a coder were to pick it up.

Combat Console .png

(mind you I did do it quickly with paint.(As a proof of concept I wasn't going to spend time dinking around in photoshop,)

Although the mock up is in 5e the concept should be system agnostic.

I don't want to kill the customizability with this so I would suggest that the "main console" has the old style character sheet in it where you can customize everything. This is to be more of the player friendly surface character sheet.
    Last edited by rathen45; June 10th, 2021 at 20:25. Reason: formating, language

You probably want to mention what ruleset this is for.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You probably want to mention what ruleset this is for.
    As I wrote this was done in 5e but the concept is very system agnostic. You can easily use it for a lot of the core systems

How this is better than the current 5e implementation, where everything is nicely arranged per tab?
    Having everything on single sheet is possible but quickly results in cluttered sheet and if users are having smaller screens it quickly results in frustrating experience.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

What's a better layout is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Changing GUI layout in Fantasy Grounds is not a simple process, and some code (especially some extensions) make assumptions based off the current layout. So I doubt a code monkey would pick this up and change the current character sheet layout unless they really had a strong desire to do so. I don't think I've seen any significant change to the base character sheet layout over the years.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What's a better layout is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Changing GUI layout in Fantasy Grounds is not a simple process, and some code (especially some extensions) make assumptions based off the current layout. So I doubt a code monkey would pick this up and change the current character sheet layout unless they really had a strong desire to do so. I don't think I've seen any significant change to the base character sheet layout over the years.
    The good thing about this is that it doesn't replace the existing sheet but adds a player friendly interface to it.

This dropdown list style lets the player see the map and their character sheet and the map without having to open the combat tracker to varify their targets.

This also enables the use of personalized relative effects, for instance effects that target specific creatures without them being applied to others.

You can still go to the old style sheet by clicking the 'main' section where you can do all your tweeking.

My players are constantly angry about the interface. Compared to foundry the interface is dated and clunky as all hell. I like it for the automation and published content but teaching this software to new players is hell.
    Last edited by rathen45; June 10th, 2021 at 18:16.

Quote Originally Posted by rathen45 View Post
    The good thing about this is that it doesn't replace the existing sheet but adds a player friendly interface to it.

This dropdown list style lets the player see the map and their character sheet and the map without having to open the combat tracker to varify their targets.

This also enables the use of personalized relative effects, for instance effects that target specific creatures without them being applied to You can still go to the old style sheet by clicking the 'main' section where you can do all your tweeking. My players are constantly angry about the interface. Compared to foundry the interface is dated and clunky as all hell.
    The great thing about Fantasy Grounds is you can change what you want with a bit of coding. If this layout would be better to you, than an extension could be made to accommodate that desire. In either case, thank you for the feedback and if you would like to provide a suggestion for us you can do so with the link in my signature.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by rathen45 View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that your idea would replace the character sheet completely. I was trying to get across that a change (or addition) like this is not a simple process.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I don't have bandwidth to take on another extension presently, let alone one of this magnitude.

However, I thought I'd give a little feedback on why this pitch probably wouldn't grab me, even if I had the time.

First, the request for a "code monkey" implies that the design is completely fleshed out, or very nearly so. And it isn't, really. When I look at that image I have many, many questions, such as "Why are three attacks listed?" These questions mean that there is a lot of work needed to design the extension before even getting started on building it. Gonna have to do quite a bit more than monkeying with code

Second, the image is too rough around the edges. It isn't visually attractive, I'm not enticed or inspired. It is kind of betting on my being so annoyed by the built in character sheet that I'll jump on any alternative that I see, which is a long bet since most extension developers have likely interacted with Fantasy Grounds enough to have gotten quite used to how the character sheet works. It has its quirks for sure, and at this point I've grown accustomed to them. Enough so that I tend to add to what is already there rather than try to jumpstart a new system. And introducing new players during session 0 works just fine if they're coming in to it with an open mind, which I actually do pretty frequently.

Last, related to above from a different perspective. It doesn't help me feel motivated to spend dozens of hours working on a project when the pitch seems to have been made with fewer than a dozens of minutes of effort. I can totally understand not wanting to invest time into an idea that won't bear fruit, and even so there is a balance in finding the right investment that doesn't decrease the likelihood of a positive outcome.
    My Forge creations: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/9/view-profile
    My GitHub: https://github.com/MeAndUnique
    Buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/meandunique
    Discord: MeAndUnique#6805

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndUnique View Post
    I don't have bandwidth to take on another extension presently, let alone one of this magnitude.

However, I thought I'd give a little feedback on why this pitch probably wouldn't grab me, even if I had the time.

First, the request for a "code monkey" implies that the design is completely fleshed out, or very nearly so. And it isn't, really. When I look at that image I have many, many questions, such as "Why are three attacks listed?" These questions mean that there is a lot of work needed to design the extension before even getting started on building it. Gonna have to do quite a bit more than monkeying with code

Second, the image is too rough around the edges. It isn't visually attractive, I'm not enticed or inspired. It is kind of betting on my being so annoyed by the built in character sheet that I'll jump on any alternative that I see, which is a long bet since most extension developers have likely interacted with Fantasy Grounds enough to have gotten quite used to how the character sheet works. It has its quirks for sure, and at this point I've grown accustomed to them. Enough so that I tend to add to what is already there rather than try to jumpstart a new system. And introducing new players during session 0 works just fine if they're coming in to it with an open mind, which I actually do pretty frequently.

Last, related to above from a different perspective. It doesn't help me feel motivated to spend dozens of hours working on a project when the pitch seems to have been made with fewer than a dozens of minutes of effort. I can totally understand not wanting to invest time into an idea that won't bear fruit, and even so there is a balance in finding the right investment that doesn't decrease the likelihood of a positive outcome.
    Apologies, I'm not a programmer myself and just remembered my friends refering to themselves as 'code monkeys' I wrote it thinking it was akin to 'grease monkey'.

I listed three attacks to illustrate that since the player isn't hasted or high enough level to use them they would be greyed out. Though in hinde sight they can simply be excluded until relavent.

This was just supposed to be a mock up to illustrate the greater idea of a new more player friendly focused interface, as I said it was done quickly in paint (I usually don't have much time on my hands).

I would invest time myself into learning and doing it myself however I have a full-time unrealted job.

I am invested in this software however and I want to help it succeed. Once players are exposed to easier interfaces however it's a ongoing battle to try to buy and try as many extensions as I can to make it bareable for them

Thread Information