STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Traveller 2E Effects Coding

Does the Traveller Ruleset have effects coding built into it? I have tried to search for any mention of it but came up dry. If it does, is there a list of correct syntax?

Good question, I don't know the answer but I am keen to find out what is happening with Traveller effects.

Clicking the FX button top right gets you there, assuming I understand the question

There are a number of items within the Fx button on the top right but unless I am missing something none of them actually have any in-game effects programmed into them, they are just an information tag you can drag onto a player. Other rulesets (eg. D&D 5e) within FGU have a deep set of effects and associated commands for you to create your own. I am wondering where I can locate this information for Traveller. Traveller is not even covered in the online FGU user manual/wiki as an individual ruleset.

The effects coding for 5E exist because those are required for the game system. The Traveller game system doesn't really have a lot of situations where they would be needed so the ruleset is pretty light on them. In the past MBM has asked what people are looking for that are reflected in the game system itself, so he is open to add things from the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    The effects coding for 5E exist because those are required for the game system. The Traveller game system doesn't really have a lot of situations where they would be needed so the ruleset is pretty light on them. In the past MBM has asked what people are looking for that are reflected in the game system itself, so he is open to add things from the rules.
    Correct, I've asked before and got no real info on what was needed, as Traveller doesn't use effects as such, I have thought about Effects and there's an update on the cards for CoreRPG. Might be worth looking into them. Though there are a few, fire is one of them.

Please let me know what you want and we can see.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I would like to see an effect for ongoing damage (a zone of heavy radiation, a fire, etc.).

I was looking for an effect that reduces damage based on type by halve. I know protection reduces damage by a flat amount, but in the Adventure Deepnight Endeavour there are creatures that take only halve damage from non laser weapons, and I was hoping to just give them an effect to simplify game flow.

I would also like an effect that a Traveller can actively use when they use Leadership. A simple button they could press to give another Traveller a boon on their roll. I know it really does not change the flow of gaming to have the user of tactics apply the bonus, as oppose to the receiving Traveller, but I have found when a player get to have an actually motion to enact the bonus they use it more. Similar to when using it at in person tables you hand the extra d6 to the player, you feel far more involved than just going "Hey don't forget that boon."
    Last edited by Doc.McMourning; June 10th, 2021 at 02:50.

Thanks for the reply MBM, it is nice to see the developer active here. I am pretty new to playing Traveller (despite have the original black box from the late 70s). As we get further into the campaign I will look at effects I feel would be good implementing.

An immediate list of effects would be for the new FGU lighting effects. Presently they are all around a fantasy setting (fire and lanterns) but some effects based upon night vision devices and electric torches/light would be great.

Something that is slightly different (and maybe off topic) would be to show the amount of damage NPCs and PCs have suffered on their token on the battle map, especially for characters and NPCs who are unconscious. Something that allows a player to look at the battle map to quickly determine who is at full health, lightly injured, heavily injured or unconscious would be a huge boon.

cheers
    Craig

Something I was thinking that could be useful is a generic round counter.

For instance Player 1, 2 and 4 are engaged in combat, but player 3 is hiding behind a console hacking the security system for 3 rounds. It would be useful to apply a counter to the CT effects line like "Using Skill, 3 rounds" reducing the rounds remaining with each new round. It would help with tracking things like that.

Another use could be Vacc Suit penetrated, air will run out in 10 rounds. Things like that.

What would be optimal is if we could declare what the counter represents in a statement that is applied to the effect tracker but not sure how hard it would be.

Thread Information