STAR TREK 2d20

Upgrade to Unity?

Hi folks,

I just noticed that an upgrade from FGC to FGU Standard Edition is only around 15£ on Steam. I am considering the switch, but first I wanted to ask you: is it worth it? Is FGU still in a beta stage or is it stable and fairly bug-free? Does the Gurps ruleset handle the new version nicely?

Thank you in advance!

I can't answer the question about GURPS, but FGU has been out of beta for a number of months now. The vast majority of games are played on FGU now. If the new features in FGU look good to you, then yes it's worth it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hey Nexos,

GURPS runs just fine on FGU. If you're familiar with it on classic, there's little functional difference between the two, other than the mechanical upgrades offered by Unity. I'm running two different GURPS campaigns and have had no major issues.

In terms of the actual GURPS ruleset, there is nothing extra you will have by migrating to FGU. That said, FGU has several enhancements which are not available in FGC, lots of map tools and features you don't get in FGC. If the price is right for you, then I would recommend the upgrade. Longer term, FGU will continue to receive news features and development, while FGC will not.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    Longer term, FGU will continue to receive news features and development, while FGC will not.
    I can't believe how profetic you were, just a few hours ago they announced the end of support for FGC! Yup, better to upgrade then. Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by Nexos View Post
    I can't believe how profetic you were, just a few hours ago they announced the end of support for FGC! Yup, better to upgrade then. Thank you all
    Just to clarify. It's not the "end of support", it's the end of new product support. Yes, it's the first step towards what Smiteworks has always said will happen - FGC getting retired (complete end of support). But it's not end of support just yet...
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; June 4th, 2021 at 19:49.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Nexos View Post
    And the lotto numbers are.....

Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Thread Information