FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Small Tutorial for Sneak Attack and Panache automation

Here's a small tutorial for automating Sneak Attack and Panache.

For Sneak Attack you can add a Character Effect with the following text:

Code:
    IFT: Flat-footed; DMG: 1d6 precision
    (change number of dice as needed)

This will make it so everytime you attack a foe that is marked as Flat-footed (or Prone, Confused and other effects that grant Flat-footed internally), the character will deal an additional 1d6 precision damage.

You can also manually add the Flat-footed modifier to any attack roll you make by dragging the Flat-Footed modifier from the modifier window (the +/- button on the top right) into your quick bar. Unfortunately it will not work with damage rolls, and pressing that button will also not give you any indicator that it is active (unless you also have the modifier window open). Another downside is that you have to manually press the button for each attack roll separately, and it doesn't work for the damage roll automation.

Here is how it should look in FG:
    sneak_tut.jpg

Instead of using the Flat-footed modifier, a better albeit slightly more complicated solution is to make a targeted effect. For this you create a spell with an effect line that has the Flat-footed effect in it. This you drag onto an enemy and from there you open the effects and then target yourself with the effect:
    sneak_tut_2.jpg

Alternatively you can first target your enemy and then press and hold the Shift button while you drag the Flat-footed effect onto yourself. This will apply the effect to the enemy with yourself in the target.
    sneak_tut_3.jpg

For Panache you create a spell and a spell effect with the effect name Panache and any other desired effects, e.g.:
    Code:
    Panache; SPEED: +5 status; SKILL: +1 circumstance, acrobatics, athletics
    (effect name is what I call whatever is in front of the first semi-colon)

Now you'll create 2 weapons, a regular one on which you add the following effect:
    Code:
    IF: CUSTOM(Panache); DMG: +2 precision
    (again: tweak numbers as needed)

And a weapon for finishers without the above effect but simply with +xd6 precision damage added

Here is how it looks in FG:
    panache_tut.jpg

I hope this information is useful to you and you have a great weekend!
    Also, if you find a way to do this more efficient, I'd be very grateful to hear
    Last edited by Montis; February 18th, 2023 at 16:05. Reason: added additional info on Sneak Attack

On my swashbuckler, I set up my finisher damage as a spell effect that adds 5d6-5 precision damage (he’s level 16) to the next damage roll then expires. That way I could leave panache on for the finisher and the damage would be correct.
    I made panache a spell effect that just adds damage, but I like your method better!

Thanks for posting the info.

I'd streamline panache a bit to keep clutter out of the combat tracker, with a character effect along the lines of: IF: CUSTOM (Panache); SKILL: +1 circumstance, acrobatics, athletics and just apply a Panache custom condition when active to cover all of the CUSTOM(Panache) effects that might come into play. SPEED is only an informational effect, include it if you need to be reminded. But, do it whichever way you wish, there are many ways to skin a catfolk.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by DomLam View Post
    On my swashbuckler, I set up my finisher damage as a spell effect that adds 5d6-5 precision damage (he’s level 16) to the next damage roll then expires. That way I could leave panache on for the finisher and the damage would be correct.
    I made panache a spell effect that just adds damage, but I like your method better!
    That sounds like a good workaround, this way you avoid having to have multiple weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'd streamline panache a bit to keep clutter out of the combat tracker, with a character effect along the lines of: IF: CUSTOM (Panache); SKILL: +1 circumstance, acrobatics, athletics and just apply a Panache custom condition when active to cover all of the CUSTOM(Panache) effects that might come into play. SPEED is only an informational effect, include it if you need to be reminded. But, do it whichever way you wish, there are many ways to skin a catfolk.
    I usually like to know what effects do so I'm always aware of what's going on. Especially as a GM it is hard to track 5 different Characters that additionally have 5 archetypes, so having the effect display what is going on (like SPEED, which is only informational), is a bonus for me.

However the method is definitely useful and I might consider using it for other things
    Last edited by Montis; June 3rd, 2021 at 14:08.

Is there a way to untarget someone from the flat-footed condition once I have them targeted without removing the effect and starting over? (e.g. Rogue flanks Baddie with Champion. Rogue applies flat-footed to Baddie and targets herself and the Champion. On Champions turn, he steps to make room for Barbarian to flank.)

Can I remove the champion and add the barbarian, or do I need to remove the entire effect and start over?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrite View Post
    Is there a way to untarget someone from the flat-footed condition once I have them targeted without removing the effect and starting over? (e.g. Rogue flanks Baddie with Champion. Rogue applies flat-footed to Baddie and targets herself and the Champion. On Champions turn, he steps to make room for Barbarian to flank.)

Can I remove the champion and add the barbarian, or do I need to remove the entire effect and start over?
    Click on the targeted names under the effect to remove the effect targets. Unfortunately it does all at once, but you can then re-add the ones you need.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Where exactly do you place this? I've copied it into a few different places (trial and error) and even though I target myself I don't seem to get the bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Thanks for posting the info.

Where do you place this? I've copied it into a few different places (trial and error) but I don't seem to get the bonus when I drag the target icon onto myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SxySamurai View Post
    Where do you place this? I've copied it into a few different places (trial and error) but I don't seem to get the bonus when I drag the target icon onto myself.
    A character effect would be added in the combat tab bottom left under character effects.

Thread Information