DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Creating a class-based NPC

How does one create and save a class-based NPC? "Add Item" in NPCs generates a template to create a HD-based monster, so I created a cleric NPC in Characters. Now how do I get that cleric out of Characters and into NPCs? I tried dragging from both the Character Manager and the Combat Tracker into NPCs but it did not transfer or create a copy. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

You don't mention which game system you are asking about.

Also, if you are talking about D&D, NPCs must be entered fully formed; and can not be built up by class level up like PCs. Generally, in most versions of D&D, NPCs are a specific data format that doesn't mirror PCs; so need to be entered differently.

Alternately, you can build a big bad guy as a PC; right click to own as GM; then make sure to change faction to enemy when added to combat tracker.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for responding! This is for PF1. Yes, I created the NPC cleric as a character but would like to add him (and other class-based NPCs, since I use them a lot) to the NPC list so the players don't see them when they log in ("oh look, I guess we're encountering Kazavon cultists today!"). Also, I don't seem to be able to add the NPC cleric to an encounter. There are other class-based NPCs in the NPC list that came with adventure modules, so there must be SOME way to get them in there!

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that if you right-click on a character and make yourself (the GM) the owner of it, the other players won't see it when they login - that's what I do, although I do it for D&D 5e so I don't know if there might be a difference in the PF1 ruleset there (I doubt it though)

Thanks - that's workable if that's the case. I still need to figure out how to add them to encounters.

I'm currently running Curse of the Crimson Throne, and all of the class-based NPCs (and there are a lot!) are included in the NPCs list and can be added to encounters. All I'm trying to do is supplement that with some additional class-based NPCs.

You can only add NPCs to encounters afaik, so you'd have to drag that PC NPC to the combat tracker manually.

For my 3.5e campaign I'm creating every NPC as NPC, even all class based. That is because:

1. It doesn't clutter the character selection screen for me
    2. It takes longer to create a NPC as PC and is more complex to run (NPC only really has 1-2 tabs, a PC has several more tabs)
    3. One might still need to do some extra work as the statblocks often don't 100% work out of the box if the NPC is created as PC.

Very high-level ones with many items, attacks, and so on I would also create as PC probably...

That is possible depending on the ruleset used: for example, in D&D 5E it cannot be done (I just tried), I suspect due to the fact that the character sheets for PCs and NPCs are fundamentally different so they have different database fields; in AD&D 2e and Savage Worlds, instead, it's possible. Unfortunately I do not play PF1 so I don't know how it's supposed to work there

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    You can only add NPCs to encounters afaik, so you'd have to drag that PC NPC to the combat tracker manually.

For my 3.5e campaign I'm creating every NPC as NPC, even all class based. That is because:

1. It doesn't clutter the character selection screen for me
    2. It takes longer to create a NPC as PC and is more complex to run (NPC only really has 1-2 tabs, a PC has several more tabs)
    3. One might still need to do some extra work as the statblocks often don't 100% work out of the box if the NPC is created as PC.

Very high-level ones with many items, attacks, and so on I would also create as PC probably...
    I think this will likely be my approach. But even for a lower level NPC, you still need to use some sort of generator to generate the stats so you can manually enter them in the NPC fields.

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Seems View Post
    I'm currently running Curse of the Crimson Throne, and all of the class-based NPCs (and there are a lot!) are included in the NPCs list and can be added to encounters. All I'm trying to do is supplement that with some additional class-based NPCs.
    The data for class based NPCs come direct from the stat blocks provided by Paizo and the data is manually entered into the NPC sheet in FG - or a parser is used to take the Paizo statblock format and convert it to FG format.

Moving this thread to the PF1 forum to avoid any confusion.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ahhhh! Thanks Trenloe, that does clarify things a bit. I'll focus on getting everything into the NPC template, even if it adds an extra step.

Thread Information