STAR TREK 2d20

WOIN - the ruleset and the extensions - an explanation and some questions

Hi,

I've seen a request recently to break out the ruleset from the NEW 'book', so I thought I'd explain things.

WOIN is the ruleset
    NEW is an extension

Now when buying NEW you have to get WOIN, as the rules are part of the books they need to be coupled.

Now you can't buy WOIN as a standalone product here at FG or at EN Publishing, so I don't see the need for it to be sold as it's own thing. Sorry.

However, someone was working on OLD and have stepped away from doing it, so it's back in Hiatus. The ruleset supports OLD which (you can turn off the NEW extension to see it), but it does require work to fit in with the magic system.

So what kind of interest is there in OLD, or NOW? Please don't ask about 2000AD/Judge Dredd/Strontium Dog, I doubt their digital licenses are available.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Last edited by MadBeardMan; June 1st, 2021 at 10:52.
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

What attracted me to the WOIN ruleset is the ability to have characters from OLD / NOW / NEW in the same campaign, jumping genre's. Think the Piers Antony Adept series ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprentice_Adept ).

So 100% YES from me for all 3 if possible. It would be good if we can Magic, Psionics, Chi all on the same character sheet at the same time as well, or atleast have the character to be able to toggle the type rather than have that in the options settings.
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

NOW is something I would like to see, as there are many possibilities for creativity in the genre. With the open structure of WOIN, it gives GM's quite a bit of leeway in making adventures and the like. OLD, in my opinion, has too many other systems to compare it too, but hey bring it on, if it helps to get NEW done right!!

Priority wise - I would say fix the basic automation (i.e. the damage type & attack type vs defense) and then OLD....
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

Yeah I'd love to see NOW, OLD is cool, but NOW would be much more fun.

I would love a NOW extension

I want NOW and OLD, NOW more though.

I'd go with OLD. My group plays OLD and that is all I'm interested in. I've spent a lot of time integrating the OLD book into FG to make it happen. I have played WOiN Star Wars, but I haven't integrated any of that into FG. If You took a look at the Galactic Sentience Catalog that would greatly change the way you plan for the changes you would need.

It would be nice for more automation as well. The character sheet needs some fixing:
    *The special attribute and PSI Points need some help, as in you can set the attribute but it always says PSI Points.
    *Carry needs a modify button (exploits and species can modify the stat)
    *SOAK needs 2 entries (natural and armor - they do different things)
    *Movement needs more boxes or fill-in boxes (in NEW alone there's also High Gravity, Low Gravity, Zero-G, and Fly). Characters only need to list the ones they have skill in or that they have as a natural form of movement (Galactic Sentience Catalog has species that don't have Running as a base form of movement). An additional note: SPEED is a base stat made up of STR + AGI +/- SIZE - Shield - Encumbrance +/- additional modifiers (exploits, etc) that is then modified by Skill. So listing SPEED as the base form of movement is incorrect, Running would be the base form of movement.
    *A place to put your Hook and Hook attribute would be nice. Right now the Hook is listed as part of the Descriptor, but the Descriptor is made up of Age Exploit, Trait, Species, Career, and Hook so there really needs to be a separate entry that also lists the relevant attribute.
    *The ability to highlight the Hook attribute would be nice (some races offer similar benefits as the HOOk attribute), but not necessary if there was a place to put the hook attribute.
    *The Actions entry doesn't need to be there, characters have a fixed number of actions (the whole character sheet was carried over from the first edition of the game and was never updated).
    *The Shadowtrack is in OLD, NOW, and NEW and was never integrated.
    *Currency has an option to change it to something else but it always says credits on the character sheet.
    *The Actions tab is a mess with all of the Attribute Actions needing to go away, being redundant between the Main and Skills tabs, but it could be switched to custom entries. Since it's partially automated but doesn't list its connected attribute it isn't of much use anyway.
    *Homeworld, Species, Age, Size, and Origin can be moved to the Personal tab since most of that is redundant, being in the Descriptor, and has no actionable mechanics that aren't already integrated.
    *Cinematic Mode was never integrated, it changes Hit Points and Luck based on Age and Luck, it would probably be better as a toggle.
    *For NEW: Dart ammo, Grenade types, and Special Ammunition are missing from the equipment section but are in the book.

My group has been using an automated google sheet for characters because this one's limited use because so much has to be put on the Personal tab under Notes that Notes becomes the main character sheet, it's just really clunky.

I'd like to throw my hat in on support for OLD. I absolutely adore the magic system, so I'd love to see some love for the system.

I'd also like to note for the previous commenter on having all three attributes on the same character sheet, according to the 1.2 ruleset if I understand correctly, all three supernatural attributes are the same, so the name is only for flavor. I'd still love to see the ability to change the name per character sheet though, as I also run cross-era games!

Thread Information