DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I'm not actually sure what the Dex saving throw is for in the case of the Cube. It tells us that a creature is automatically engulfed if they don't notice the cube. There's no save mentioned; the creature is simply engulfed and so the engulfed affect should be applied at that point. So in this case the apply all effects button would not do anything because there hasn't been a save or attack which requires any adjudication. There is a save to avoid the paralysis but that's a fortitude save.

Having said all of that the effects actually haven't been set up on this NPC such that the apply all effects button will actually work. The effects should have some notification of the degree of success and what happens. It should perhaps be more correctly set as:
    Save:Fort[DC:20]
    Effect: Paralyzed [FAILURE][CRITFAILURE]
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ah okay, so if the automation doesn't specify degrees of success the apply all button isn't going to work then.

The cube's engulf works two ways. As you said, if a creature doesn't notice the cube it can be automatically engulfed by walking into it, but the cube also has an active Engulf activity it can use on its turn. It's a bit tricky because the description of what the engulf does is in the appendix of Bestiary 1 and not written out in the cube's entry. Here it is for reference:

"The monster Strides up to double its Speed and can move through the spaces of any creatures in its path. Any creature of the monster’s size or smaller whose space the monster moves through can attempt a Reflex save with the listed DC to avoid being engulfed. A creature unable to act automatically critically fails this save. If a creature succeeds at its save, it can choose to be either pushed aside (out of the monster’s path) or pushed in front of the monster to the end of the monster’s movement. The monster can attempt to Engulf the same creature only once in a single use of Engulf. The monster can contain as many creatures as can fit in its space.

A creature that fails its save is pulled into the monster’s body. It is grabbed, is slowed 1, and has to hold its breath or start suffocating. The creature takes the listed amount of damage when first engulfed and at the end of each of its turns while it’s engulfed. An engulfed creature can get free by Escaping against the listed escape DC. An engulfed creature can attack the monster engulfing it, but only with unarmed attacks or with weapons of light Bulk or less. The engulfing creature is flat-footed against the attack. If the monster takes piercing or slashing damage equaling or exceeding the listed Rupture value from a single attack or spell, the engulfed creature cuts itself free. A creature that gets free by either method can immediately breathe and exits the swallowing monster’s space.

If the monster dies, all creatures it has engulfed are automatically released as the monster’s form loses cohesion."

Confirming that when I added the [FAILURE][CRITFAILURE] to the effect the apply all button worked, so that's definitely it. Thank you for explaining Zacchaeus!

Hopefully in a future update the automation fields can be improved a bit so more of them work correctly.

I'm just prepping the Beginners Box as my first foray into PF2e and I'm also finding that several spells, whist having the variable results coded, don't have the 'degree of success' drop-down box populated, making the 'Apply All Effects' inactive. I'm starting to go through all the spells etc. in the PFBB to correct it before we play, so don't know how extensive this is, but it could be part of the general problem people are experiencing?

Cheers,

Simon

(obviously now I'm in the module looking for instances I'm struggling to find them, but they definitely were there, as I had to work out out to fix them (coming to PG2e for the first time) or maybe it was a very peculiar dream....)
    Last edited by Ludd_G; February 8th, 2023 at 22:20.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDrake View Post
    Hopefully in a future update the automation fields can be improved a bit so more of them work correctly.
    Existing products won't get updated if the dev isn't made aware of the issue.

For creatures that are in the bestiaries (which the Gelatinous Cube is), questions/requests regarding NPC automation can be made in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...and-Automation
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd_G View Post
    I'm just prepping the Beginners Box as my first foray into PF2e and I'm also finding that several spells, whist having the variable results coded, don't have the 'degree of success' drop-down box populated, making the 'Apply All Effects' inactive. I'm starting to go through all the spells etc. in the PFBB to correct it before we play, so don't know how extensive this is, but it could be part of the general problem people are experiencing?
    It's a different mechanism, but it's all part of the base process - it requires the dev who converts the product to make a decision on if they code in the result success for effects. Sometimes if the effect isn't applied 100% of the time, or it can't be fully automated, then the result state won't be set. And, of course, there's always the odd one that gets missed.

Looking through the effect actions for spells in the Heroes Handbook, I can see most effects that rely on a result state have the field set. It's just effects that get applied when the spell is cast that don't have that set as it's assumed the player just presses the effect button rather then the ApplyAllEffects button. If this isn't the case, please provide some examples. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Trenloe,

I think it may just be the Fear spell for the Beginner's Box GM's Guide (as present on the Drow Priestess and Kobold Dragon Mage spell tab). I had dragged in onto a character sheet so I could play with how it worked, after watching your videos. So it seems it was really just bad luck that I grabbed that one to play with, but it did teach me a lot about how everything can be set up, so nothing lost.

Cheers,

Simon
    Last edited by Ludd_G; February 8th, 2023 at 22:38.

Hi Trenloe,

I think it may just be the Fear spell for the Beginner's Box GM's Guide (as present on the Drow Priestess and Kobold Dragon Mage spell tab). I had dragged in onto a character sheet so I could play with how it worked, after watching your videos. So it seems it was really just bad luck that I grabbed that one to play with, but it did teach me a lot about how everything can be set up, so nothing lost.

Cheers,

Simon
    Thanks for replying Simon. Yeah, I'd just seen a couple of fear spells in the NPC spells tabs that didn't have the result state set. I'll have a look at getting that fixed. Thanks for raising the problem.

I think it may just be the Fear spell for the Beginner's Box GM's Guide (as present on the Drow Priestess and Kobold Dragon Mage spell tab)
    The NPCs in the GMs Guide were set to re-parse their actions rather than use the pre-programmed actions. I've fixed that and checked in the update in as a hotfix which should be updated within the next 24 hours.

Thank you!

Thread Information