DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Occluder question re: windows and terrain

I've looked at various videos, including the great overviews by Philip, and have experimented with the occluders but can't figure out this one aspect. Is it possible to combine terrain occluders with windows?

Here's why. I have a crenellated castle wall where creatures ambushing the party will be mostly concealed behind the parapet. But, most of the party can fly, so if one of them approaches the wall from above I would like to have it marked with terrain so I can turn it off if necessary. I tried inserting windows in the terrain so both the ambushers and party can look in an out depending on the angle, but I can't get the windows to work.

I don't know if I'm doing this the wrong way or if I'm just trying to combine incompatible occluders.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Seems; May 29th, 2021 at 13:40.

You will have a conflict if you add those two occulders since one can block movement and the other can't and one doesn't block LoS and the other does. You'll always have issues trying to emulate a 3D environment on a 2D map. You are probably best with terrain occluders since you can switch those on and off (you can switch windows on and off too but that means a token can move through them - it doesn't change the LoS). This will mean that when switched off all tokens will see through them since you can't switch them off for just one token.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks, I suspected as much. I can make it work. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something since it's my first attempt.

Did you ever have any success? I'm puzzling on how to implement something pretty standard in a fantasy setting. Hero scales the wall and can now see over it and all around. It should be easy, right? Either I'm too much of a noob and missing something or this is a serious shortcoming. ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkforger View Post
    Did you ever have any success? I'm puzzling on how to implement something pretty standard in a fantasy setting. Hero scales the wall and can now see over it and all around. It should be easy, right? Either I'm too much of a noob and missing something or this is a serious shortcoming. ?
    If you give us a screen shot of a map and a couple of tokens and descriptions of what you want the visibility to be, we can give you some good advice. But, what you provided is pretty vague.

I'll say in short something can probably work, but it just depends on the details.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I’m actually figuring this out. A bit of a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    If you give us a screen shot of a map and a couple of tokens and descriptions of what you want the visibility to be, we can give you some good advice. But, what you provided is pretty vague.

I'll say in short something can probably work, but it just depends on the details.
    If what I’m doing doesn’t work, I’ll let you know. Thanks for reaching out. 😅

The simplest way to achieve this, if I understand it correctly, is to include the entire wall inside a terrain occluder element. The Players will see the wall from the outside but not through it, and once within the confines of the terrain element, they can see out without obstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatmough View Post
    The simplest way to achieve this, if I understand it correctly, is to include the entire wall inside a terrain occluder element. The Players will see the wall from the outside but not through it, and once within the confines of the terrain element, they can see out without obstruction.
    Hi, thanks for your comment. ☺️

I think I tried a terrain occlusion but found that although players could not see through the wall, they could walk through it. Maybe that’s something particular to the map I imported. What I ended up doing instead was to line the inside of every parapet or tower for which elevation would allow LOS with a toggleable wall. This would allow the wall to be turn off when a character was up there so they could then see (I didn’t check if that would allow everyone on the map to see.. I suppose it would &#128530. This didn’t prevent the player from passing through the wall when the toggle was off however, so i had to line the outside of every wall, tower, etc with an untoggleable window. That way the wall can be seen from below, all around from above but not passable. There’s probably an easier, faster way to do it though 😂.

With my luck, one of my players will want to scale the wall. ��

That is correct the terrain option does not prevent movement; You can layer occluder types to get the desired results of how different occluders interact with players. For example, in this case, one could use terrain and then a window in the same location. The window occluder type will prevent movement but not vision and the terrain will prevent vision on the opposite side but not movement. Thus creating the desired movement restriction with the terrain vision element. As you suggested though there are always going to be multiple ways to approach and solve all of these situations, so experiment and have fun.

Thread Information