FG Spreadshirt Swag

Enjoying working natively on Mac - anyway to export modules with FGU and edit

I have been working on my code under MacOS directly for some time and it is way nicer than dealing with the Parallels Windows VM.

However, when I want to make module data, I am told it needs to be exported in FGC which is NOT compatible with modern MacOS (which is 64bit only).

I am totally comfortable hand (or otherwise) editing the generated xml if there are sections I must edit or remove to make it FGC compatible.
    Is there documentation or HowTos on this?

As it is, when I added NPCs, I just copied the records output from FGU and inserted it into my prior created under FGC and all was fine - but all I was copying were the actual ID-000XXX entries. If I were adding a new type or record or whatever, not sure if situation changes.

Or perhaps (I HOPE) it is 100% compatible in the existing stuff and it just adds records/sections that would choke FGC - in which case it would be trivial to prune them.

Any advice would rock. This simplifies things vs constantly having to push commits from MAC to git then git to Windows on same machine (copying/sharing got me in trouble once before so went the safer route.)

From what I understand, the modules from FGC and FGU are compatible. If the rulesets are the same, the import/export should be the same as well.

Maybe I misunderstood. What I recall reading from the folks who develop content for the FG store was that to do so, you must export the module from FGC because FGC modules can be loaded into FGU effortlessly but that you could not do the same for a module initially created in FGU.

My hope was this was a generally true statement for folks who are plug and play and not a major change in layout. I hoped it was like extra info inserted by FGU for lighting or (making something up) FGU separate certain records by putting a parent category or something that FGC wouldn’t know what to do with but FGU does and if not present FGU uses a default.

I expect it is more than just delete one lighting root and you are Dine BUT it still may be simple for xml editors.

They are not compatible. Loading FGU-exported modules in FGC is not supported; and will not work right. It's not just a text substitution issue; but a complete change in the data storage behavior for several data types as well as encoding and other minor changes.

We continue to require FGC-exported modules for all products sold through FG store.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    They are not compatible. Loading FGU-exported modules in FGC is not supported; and will not work right. It's not just a text substitution issue; but a complete change in the data storage behavior for several data types as well as encoding and other minor changes.

We continue to require FGC-exported modules for all products sold through FG store.

Regards,
    JPG
    Yup, I was afraid of that. I’m glad in many ways they are not compatible. It means you guys chose to progress. It is always hard to improve things without accepting that it requires switching.

I’ll try then to export then copy the stuff to my original FGC module until it becomes to problematic and I go back to two separate environs on one computer. This would be a NO-Problem situation except that I enjoy in my Mac even over my huge screen pc.

If only the macs still supported FGC directly in the OS instead of having to use a Windows VM on my Mac.

I am I’ll be mainly using it to add npcs (monsters I mean) spells and gear. Then I copy them to the FGC created mod file. I asked because original I did it all on the VM until around Feb that I switched to FGU since guy I was doing it for used that and then we switched out weekly game to FGU (we both backed FGU in KS just hadn’t switched to it)

Once I started using it natively I didn’t want to go back. All I hd done so far on FGC was pregen and 2 dozen npcs and morecore rolls. When I added new npcs in FGU I just opened the xml copies out the npcs added and pasted them into FGC and was fine. But I wondered if needed to do other for spells and things I hadn’t yet added.

I’ll just see if I can create one or two in FGC of each and figure how to cut and paste them back if all else fails Ill just do it clunky slow every time want to add a change switch environs do it push to git, switch get from git and continue in MacOS.

Funny thing is extremely doubt it will go in store (like nearly certain not but… nearly isn’t certain in fact “certainty” is or isn’t so… playing safe.

I guess I didn't realize that the module export had to be done through FGC to be put in the store. If that's the case, how do store products have lighting built into their maps?

There is an extra metadata XML file that needs to be included with each image file that only FGU uses when loading modules.

You can export the metadata XML file for an image from FGU by right clicking on an image layer in the layers list of the image data panel, and selecting the Export Metadata option. It will collapse all the LoS/lighting from all layers into a file adjusted to the layer you exported for. The metadata file must be placed in the exact same path as the image file; and have the exact same file name (except substitute .xml for .png/.jpg).

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information