STAR TREK 2d20

Identifying Magic Items

How do people manage magical items when they get identified?

Only a critical success gives all the details of the stat block, and a cursed item can only be identified with a critical success (plus it’s ver hard). AS soon as you click the ID and make it known, the player effectively knows everything about it. I assume, you just have to RP it and try and get the player to not metagame?

I assume there is no FG mechanic, other than perhaps change the description and have different versions of the item depending on their success or failure?

I just gave them the item and identified it - because until you posted this I hadn't gone looking for how you identify magic items. Having said that they've only found minor stuff like elixirs so far so those are maybe not even magic items.

My first thought is that I'd leave it unidentified until they critted the check. But I may have to revise that as being impractical.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

In PF 2 you are supposed to read aura first, before identifying magic. But I might forego that. You are right, Elixirs are alchemic and don’t need the identify magic check, but identify alchemy under crafting.

I have wondered this myself. I am not sure how FG could implement this rule, but I hope they address it in some way.

Thread Information