5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

[Bug?] Light effects by player don't work

I don't know if this is working as intended or a bug. As this comes from an user in discord and I could replicate the issue, here's the post.

FGU v4.11, DND 5E, no extensions

1. Player creates a power in his character sheet with the following effect: "LIGHT: torch"
    2. Player activates the effect
    3. The DM can see the torch, the player can't

The same happens for custom created effects from the effects panel in the upper right-hand corner.

EDIT: Title should read ... activated by player ...

Same issue or at least very similar.

If LIGHT: 20 torch is but on a character in the combat tracker on the GM side everything looks fine and the light area appears, even if I click on them to view other tokens vision it looks correct, however the players can't see the light effect at all, still whatever their vision sees.

Lights placed on the map however work fine, it is just effects in the CT that are not being seen by players.

Ruleset 5e

I am also seeing this issue when using Pathfinder 1 ruleset. The same behavior happens when the GM applies a "token light" to a character. The GM's view using "Player Vision Preview" option works as expected, but the player session does not update. I have found however that after the effects are applied, either as a combat tracker effect, or a token light added by the GM, if the GM re-shares the map, the lighting effect begins working for the player.
    Oddly enough, if a lighting effect is *removed* from a PC - the player view immediately changes correctly.
    Last edited by KevenSimmons; May 16th, 2021 at 03:48.
    If you're not having fun, then you're not doing it right.

Seeing the same behavior as original post (4.1.1, 5E, no extensions) - adding a light to player shows up for the GM but not on the Player side. Additional observations:

• If a player turns off the light effect in the CT, it turns off for both player and GM
    • Re-pushing the map with the effect active will cause it to show up for both player and GM. This looks like an interim workaround.
    • Toggling lights on and off updates the GM but not player map. Appears to be just for light objects - ambient light changes on both player and GM side when changed.

Just test this - getting same effect - GM side can see the light, player side it doesn't work. SWADE in this case.

Sharing the map again fixes it (no need to close the map for player or GM, just right click and share again).

I'll pitch in on this thread as well.

Just did extensive testing where I made lighting effects directly on an item using Advanced Effects (tried with effect created by DM and created by player), effect created on the PC's Actions tab, effect created directly on the CT, and effect created in Effects dialog. In all cases, the map looks like it's supposed to for the DM using player vision preview, and no light for the player.

Shaun

I also encountered this in testing with one of my players. We noticed that the light effect dropped for the player but not for GM whenever they applied any other effect from their action tab. Reapplying their token to the map reset the light for them.

I also had this same problem. I had to unshare and reshare the map for the PC's light to work on his screen.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

4.11, 5e, no extensions

Same as post#1.

Except even when the effect is applied by the DM, both player and DM can see light. As soon as the player does anything the applies another effect to the CT the player loses the light. DM can still see it.

I can not replicate this even when using a second instance. It only happens if the player is remote via hosting. Have not tried it over IP yet. Will have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
    I also had this same problem. I had to unshare and reshare the map for the PC's light to work on his screen.
    I tried this (unshare and share again), and the effect did work. However, when the effect was removed and re-applied, I was back to square one...

Thread Information