5E Character Create Playlist

Thread: DM Advice

DM Advice

So, we are starting a new campaign tomorrow, just in time for the new lighting options. AND, it's the perfect module for the new lighting stuff: Curse of Strahd.
    I'm totally stoked!
    Of course, just as I say this, I have one player who wants to play a Twilight Cleric. Dim light as bright, and darkness as dim, for 300 feet. Plus, they can give that ability to the party for an hour per day. *sad trombone*
    Arrgh!
    What do you think? Should I tell my player that he can't play a Twilight Cleric? I almost never tell my players they can't play a specific character (I want them to play what THEY want), but this is kind of a bummer.
    Have any of you played a Twilight Cleric or DM'd one? Do you have any advice for me? I guess I could try to kill the cleric right off the bat (heh, pun intended).
    Do you have any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Eh, I don't know about a string reason, but I don't think its a strong reason.

I mean I get it, you have this vision of a campaign, but then perhaps the players have a vision of a different campaign. IMO, the best solution is always an open, honest, and mature discussion.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks LE and D. You are right--and you are telling me what I should have known from the beginning.

Don't forget that Dim Light is not the same thing as daylight. All characters relying on it will have disadvantage on perception checks (if they don't have darkvision or other ways of getting around it).

The other thing I'll say it's just general GM'img advice, but particularly relevant as I just finished running Curse of Strahd: don't overlook the scale on the map of the valley of Barovia. The total area is very small, and unless the party is trekking all the way from East to West, odds are it will only take them an hour or two to get where they're going. The reason I bring this up is that if you are worried about the Twilight Cleric's vision ability feeling oppressive, it can be helpful to make sure most days have more than one opportunity to use it. If they want to use it in Death House, they might not have it later on the road to Vallaki, or during other encounters in the village.

The lighting in FG is additive, so you could try something like VISION: 0/300 for your cleric ability (do not forget the zero, that is the range of the bright vision; I simply assume that the vision effect supports dim and bright, too) That may increase the visibility of all the areas maybe in precisely such a way how you need it (otherwise play around a bit with the vision settings, maybe some brighter colour for that vision helps; in the image sidebar is also a toggle for whether or not it can see through magical darkness, in case you need that. But just theory-talk now, I didn't really test anything, and that stuff was changing often in beta such that I may be wrong )

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Eh, I don't know about a string reason, but I don't think its a strong reason.

I mean I get it, you have this vision of a campaign, but then perhaps the players have a vision of a different campaign. IMO, the best solution is always an open, honest, and mature discussion.
    I messed up with Rob Twohy's COS campaign with an aaaararockcocra flying bird PC... took all the mystery out of some scenes.

Thread Information