FG Spreadshirt Swag

Quick feedback on 4.1 (LIVE)

I'm very excited and happy to finally be able to play with 4.1

Kudos to the (very small) team who helped deliver this and to all testers who helped with their feedback.

Small feedback from me (since I never dared to test myself):

- When you enable Ambient Light it defaults to a colored light which changes the map look. => Why not let the players choose their own light ? I know you can change it to white with the sliders but it's another operation to do for all existing maps...

Ambient light is best used for outdoors and open maps. Indoors (except doors & windows, real world ...) and underground there is rarely sunlight, hence you don't even need to enable ambient light on all maps.
    Ambient light sets the mood, time, whatever the DM uses it for, therefore only the DM can edit the color. You wouldn't want your players to set their own ambient light to white when your scene is to be played at nighttime.
    Last edited by Zarestia; May 13th, 2021 at 23:40. Reason: words

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    Ambient light is best used for outdoors and open maps. Indoors (except doors & windows, real world ...) and underground there is rarely sunlight, hence you don't even need to enable ambient light on all maps.
    Ambient light sets the mood, time, whatever the DM uses it for, therefore only the DM can edit the color. You wouldn't want your players to set their own ambient light to white when your scene is to be played at nighttime.
    I have never talked about indoor vs outdoor and I don't see the link between the basic color cast that has been picked as the default and the inability for players to modify it.

Ambient light makes sense for outdoors when you want it to cast shadows but not alter your map colors, hence my comment on it having a color cast and not being neutral. if you want to add mood there are prebuilt options and/or you can modify the color yourself. I just don't see the point of setting a color cast /mood by default.

The ambient light was primarily designed to support outdoor use cases. This can be seen by the choice of presets available by default: Dawn, Sunlight, Dusk, Moonlight.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The ambient light was primarily designed to support outdoor use cases. This can be seen by the choice of presets available by default: Dawn, Sunlight, Dusk, Moonlight.

Regards,
    JPG
    I get that and if I wasn't clear enough forgive me. I just said that when you create your own maps with the right color for (let's say) daylight and you ONLY want to have shadows projected then you have to use Ambient light to get the shadows but you get a color cast as a 'bonus' which might not be something you want (by default).

i fully understand the choices we have dusk/dawn/moonlight, ... and they're great. it's just that I feel like the default daylight 'color' should be neutral and not cast any color.

Since lighting is a mood setter for maps, it should never be neutral. You as GM want to establish the feel the players get on the map.

You could use ambient light underground.. lichen on the walls with a phosphorus glow, alien sci-fi light from unknown sources...

Time play with lighting.

Next... Sound!!

If you want neutral ambient light then click the Color button select the top left of the color spectrum - left-click and hold within the "Pick Color" selector and move the mouse to the top left to get all 255s. Takes 1 second to do.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Since lighting is a mood setter for maps, it should never be neutral. You as GM want to establish the feel the players get on the map.

You could use ambient light underground.. lichen on the walls with a phosphorus glow, alien sci-fi light from unknown sources...

Time play with lighting.

Next... Sound!!
    I have to disagree with your statement that it's there ONLY to set the mood (and we have presets for that purpose that we can pick from), it's also there (in my opinion there's no easy way to do it otherwise and I would like to stand corrected) to CAST directional SHADOWS (as I said multiple times but you don't seem to bother reading/understanding what I wrote).

Anyway, I don't want this to become a troll post, I was merely trying to give my open and honest feedback (with a rationale) as to why i thought the default color for ambient light should be neutral. nobody seems to get it so I guess it only annoys me (maybe because I create my own maps and I don't want to go to the 'trouble' of having to go for another click to set it neutral myself).

Thread Information