5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

New users Sticky idea?

Hi All,
    I'm currently trying to act as Tech Support for a guy who wants to use Fantasy Grounds (not sure which version, as he is trying to join someone else's game, and I'm talking with him via another forum elsewhere).

His problem? He's trying to run the Demo version of the Fantasy Grounds software on his computer for the first time. He can't get past the password issue, and here is where I think he's going bad...

1) He may have tried to put some value in the License Key field. Since he doesn't have a valid license key - having never purchased a key, this field, when filed with any data, will not let anyone start the program. Correct?

2) if he doesn't have a valid license key, even if he left the license key field empty, any attempt to enter a Username and a password, will fail. Correct?

If I'm right about the first two items above, then the next trick will be to relay to him, how to get past this stumbling block. I'm not sure what precisely he's seeing, so I can't tell for certain that all he has to do is go to the setup screen, empty out the license key field (if not empty), empty out the username field, and empty out the password field, and simply hit save. If this is correct, then that will be the instructions I'll pass his way. If this is not correct, well, I'd hate to give him the wrong information, so giving me the right process would be better.

Thanks for your help.

Hal

Well, it really depends on if he is using Fantasy Grounds Classic or Fantasy Grounds Unity (since you are not sure which version).

3.x = Classic
    4.x = Unity

For Classic, nothing needs to be entered for Demo users; no license key, or username/password.
    For Unity, the only thing that needs to be entered is the username/password. Your friend should create a forum account here (like you did), and enter the username/password that was created. For Demo users, no license key would need to be entered.

If something is in the license key field which is invalid then it'll tell you that it's invalid. If you delete the entry in the license key filed and have a username and password then update FG will update to the demo version (even if previously there was a valid license key).

A demo user still needs a forum account and must enter that username and password into the correct fields. If that doesn't work they might try changing their forum passord and try again. Failing that contact support.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

What I think probably happened, is he tried to create his own username and password. He indicated that an effort was made to retrieve his password, but no such account exists.

Based on that, what I will advise him to do is simply make certain that the license key field is empty. I will give him the URL for the Forums via email telling him "Create an Identity for use on the Forums." Once he has that, then I will tell him the final step is to enter his Forum username and his forum password in his demo version of the software and he should be good to go.

Of course, now he has to wait until he gets confirmation that he has a username and it has been activated for the Forums.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate both your answers. I'm not sure if you want to create a sticky giving that advise to new users trying to install the program for the first time or not...

Hal

Easiest just to refer to the user manual I'd think https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...+Grounds+Unity
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information