5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Looking to boost HUMAN VARIANT

Hi.

So in this year I will start a new huge mega campaign with my IRL friends using FGU.

By that time for sure there will be the LOS + dynamic lighting.

Even with TASHAs customizing options I find the human variant choice underwhelming.

Every player would choose and elf as or any race with darkvision as it is far superior.

Everybody will play a dwarf with two +2/+2 bonus abilities with darkvision or half elf or elf. I think the advantages of these races are far superior than human variant +1/+1 and feat.

Also considering that all the game about exploring and torches is completely screwed up by the DARKVISION 60ft. There is no tension anymore.

I think the races are not balanced between them and Human variant is a fair example. Many people understimate the power of the SENSES (darkvision) even more than mobility sometimes.

Elves have high mobility and darkvision, in fact all my players play elves, since 2016.

I think by raising the human variant's two +1/+1 bonuses to +2/+2 and still have a feat, will make the human race more interesting and eventually we can start playing again with torches and the like, exploration back to some use.

And I would let my players use the Point buy at 27pts.

In this way I think it is balanced.

I am really surprised that at WOTC they don't realize how imbalanced are races and how useless are HUMANS as in RAW now.

What do you guys think?
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

What I would to to make HUMAN race the center and more common race would be:

- Humans are all Humans Variant with 1 feat at 1st level and +2/+2 or +2/+1/+1 or +1/+1/+1/+1 that they can place as they want.
    - All other races cannot move bonuses (for example mountain dwarves cannot move their +2/+2 to Str/Con)

I know these are home rules, but for the sake of having a better game for the future.

Maybe more similar to original B/X or BECMI.

Any other ideas or thought?

For now I think the above is the best solution I came up to.

Also I think these house rules will not affect any power balance in the game and I can GM a megadungeon as it is supposed to be.

Maybe they will still choose the non human races, but they should know the human is the most versatile, common and very strong.

We went from earlier editions where Humans where the Center of the World to the complete contrary and this trend will not go back with future editions due to the "politically correct" fashion that is common now.

An alternative to house ruling could be to make players rolling HUMANS with better rolling methods while for non humans rolling with worse methods.

Like 4d6 , 6 times for non humans

6 +2d6, reroll ones, 6 times for humans

Just as an idea.

I like the 5e, don't want to go Old School (also D&D 5e is greatly supported on FG)

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    2E is also very well supported on Fantasy Grounds.
    Ok thanks but is still other stuff to buy, while I have over 800 Euro of bought material of 5e stuff on FGC /FGU.

Also, I think we will stay on 5e for many years to come.

One thing I noticed is that I cannot change the point buy of 27 on the Character Wizard. Is there a way to customize the point buy in the system? seems not.

Blog Entries
    I have barely looked at 5e in the last 4 years; didn't mind it as a player but couldn't stand it as a DM... but based off of what I've done in my AD&D games for humans, perhaps try;

- If using point buy, give Humans a 2 point kicker to the total they use (i.e. 27 instead of 25 or whatever 5e uses to create super heroes).
    - non-variant Humans are strictly "regular folk" NPCs.
    - if using dice rolling, use a slightly better methodology for Humans - say 3d6 6 times for non-Humans and 4d6d1 6 times for Humans.
    - give a bonus proficiency point for Skills to Humans.
    - house rule that only Humans can develop a skill to double proficiency.
    - tell your players you are running a Humancentric game and world and as such you will limit other races to 1/race at any time and hope that your crew is more interested in playing in the world you want to create than making the bestest character evar.

I have a lengthy write up for character creation I give to all my players, but that is for AD&D, so probably not directly applicable to 5e.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thanks you for the advices.

My campaign is not against non humans, is against mostly DARKVISION!

It will ruin most dungeons. Making a human centric campaign is an excuse to make them use torches!

I am taking good note of what you wrote thanks everybody that commented and that will still do.

You can make the point buy anything you like in the Wizard. It's not restricted to any one value.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Neuro* View Post
    Thanks you for the advices.

My campaign is not against non humans, is against mostly DARKVISION!

It will ruin most dungeons. Making a human centric campaign is an excuse to make them use torches!

I am taking good note of what you wrote thanks everybody that commented and that will still do.
    Hmm... well you could just always change what Darkvision means in your game.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You can make the point buy anything you like in the Wizard. It's not restricted to any one value.
    I will give it a try then, thanks. If I can save the PC is ok.

Thread Information