DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Classic has no vision or lighting, and there is no plan to do so. It has "Mood Lightning" which simple colors the whole screen so you get a day, night, campfire, etc atmosphere. Their is no simulated torchlight, or darkvision, or line of sight in classic. That is all Unity (and Unity Beta).
    Last edited by LordEntrails; May 5th, 2021 at 19:06.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe the Homunculus View Post
    I'm confused because I thought all the test features with lighting were just what Classic had. I think what @Valyar and @LordEntrails are helping to clear up what I was confused about.
    I still don't understand about Unity being an engine or language or what, I'm not a full computer program writer, but you all are saying it is easier to write extensions, I believe it.
    yeah, as the others wrote, the lighting stuff you saw in videos with that light bulb is unity, not classic (in beta, as mentioned above)

There was mood lighting in classic, this is something different, which is been replaced by an Fx effect in unity; it works a bit different but I personally prefer the unity version of that

A game engine like Unity is a generic piece of software to allow you to create other games. So it is software that allows you to create software, usually faster and easier than starting building from scratch.

There are some cons to FG going to Unity, in that well build software built from the ground up should outperform something build on a generic platform. Performance is not everything there are other factors like required expertise, time to build, cost to build, cross platform capability, software matainabily, ability to add features, ect. It's the last set of factors that led Smiteworks to decide to use the Unity engine.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I dont know that Classic wont be updated - it certainly wont keep feature parity.
    But many ruleset features will still appear in Classic.

Classic does not work on 64bit only OS like new Macs.
    Unity will not work on 32bit computers and may not work on W7 or W8.
    It does work on W7 which is the machine that I am using but I have to admit that it would probably work better on a newer machine which I am considering but for the purpose of this discussion, it will function on W7

Quote Originally Posted by TXCBoy36 View Post
    It does work on W7 which is the machine that I am using but I have to admit that it would probably work better on a newer machine which I am considering but for the purpose of this discussion, it will function on W7
    It works on *your* Windows 7 computer. A few people have had issues installing FGU and running it on Windows 7. So saying "it will function on W7" is not an ideal statement to make to people reading these forums. It's not supported for FGU and people have had issues with it. I'm glad it runs OK for you, may it continue to...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

ok, did not realize that. Is it preferred to run it on W10 then? How do export my FGC & FGU to a new machine since everything i have done with FG is on this machine??

ok, did not realize that. Is it preferred to run it on W10 then? How do export my FGC & FGU to a new machine since everything i have done with FG is on this machine??
    You have to copy paste the sub-folders in the /campaigns folder within FG data directory from the old to the new machine. You have to copy and paste also any extension that you are using from the /extensions directory from the old to the new machine. And every other module or token/image that you stored locally and is not part of content delivered via the vault.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

1) Open FGC on your current computer, click the folder button in the top right to open file explorer at the location of your FGC app data. To be safe, and include all modules, cache data, etc. make a backup copy of everything displayed in file explorer.
    2) Open FGU on your current computer, click the folder button in the top left, make a backup copy of everything displayed in the file explorer window that opened.

Do the reverse of the above on the new computer, overwriting the data in the FG data directory with the backup you made for the relevant version (FGC or FGU). Then run an update.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information