5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5e Ongoing damage oddity

Hi,
    I've noticed that ongoing damage is applied 2 different times depending on if it is a static value or a die roll.
    Is there a reason for this, as it's really making my life hard to get it to function as I need in a new extension I'm writing.

Pic attached to show what I mean.

Cheers, Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure what your issue is. You have two DMGO's on the player one that does a fixed amount and one that does a random amount. Obviously both will be applied to the player since you have two of them on. What is it you are trying to achieve?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The issue I have is that one of the damages is applied before the character starts its turn, and the other after the player starts its turn. I'm just wondering why this is, as both are DMGO.

Cheers, Steve.

The static one is just "faster" because there is no physical die rolled, that is normal The order of the chat messages is not the same as the order of application, just depends on when the chat message gets activated in the code; so, at actor's turn start the static DMGO chat message is just earlier So, the actor is already active even if the chat message for that is slightly later (and the information for the static DMGO effect about the actor is there, otherwise its damage couldn't be applied; maybe that helps, too?)

If you still see a problem, then we may need to know more about what you want to achieve with your code

I'll investigate further, I hope you're correct Kelrugem

Hopefully I don't have to change how I am approaching things.

Cheers, Steve.

Just done a bit more digging, and it looks to me that the static DMGO damage is applied before the turn start.
    It's definately before the CombatManager.setCustomTurnStart funtion is called.

Back to the drawing board I think :S

Cheers, Steve.

*Edit*

Ignore the above, I'll have to try and get the data I need before it's pushed to the chat, as I think the latency of the die roll chat is the problem.
    Last edited by Stv; May 2nd, 2021 at 20:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Stv View Post
    Just done a bit more digging, and it looks to me that the static DMGO damage is applied before the turn start.
    It's definately before the CombatManager.setCustomTurnStart funtion is called.

Back to the drawing board I think :S

Cheers, Steve.

*Edit*

Ignore the above, I'll have to try and get the data I need before it's pushed to the chat, as I think the latency of the die roll chat is the problem.
    You could try to edit the applyOngoingDamageAdjust (it is called something like this, may be a bit differently named) in the 5e effect manager for example But not sure if this helps since I do not know what you want to do

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    But not sure if this helps since I do not know what you want to do
    It's a secret ^^

I'm trying to enable/disable an effect depending on if damage has been taken. The DMGO latency is proving problematic at the moment. I'll figure a workaround though (I hope )

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stv View Post
    It's a secret ^^

I'm trying to enable/disable an effect depending on if damage has been taken. The DMGO latency is proving problematic at the moment. I'll figure a workaround though (I hope )

Cheers, Steve

In PF1 the regeneration effect is disabled for one round if damage of a specific type is taken You could take a look there, that sounds like something similar to your situation (look in the 3.5e ruleset; both rulesets share the same scripts, PFRPG.pak just changes some general data in DataCommon)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; May 2nd, 2021 at 22:08.

Sweet, thanks for the pointer. I'll take a look.

Cheers, Steve.

Thread Information