FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Joining a session without an FG account

Hello,

I'm hosting my games in LAN mode and it seems my players MUST have an account on Fantasy Grounds to join it. Is it correct ? Or is there some way to setup the client (Free Client because I have Ultimate) so that the player just use an arbitrary name for his login, just like we do with FGC ?

Best Regards,

No. All players including those using the demo must have a forum account since they need to add their username and password into settings in order to run the client.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately as I suspected

But would it be possible to have an Alias not related to the FG Forum Account ? DMs can use an alias, it would be very convenient to be able for players to do the same.
    This is especially important to know which player own which caracter.

FGC was handling that better than FGU.

Edit : BTW, is there a suggestion/improvement thread somewhere ?
    Last edited by 39Sam; May 2nd, 2021 at 11:11.

DMs can't use an alias in Unity; they also need to use their forum username and password to run FG. They can change the DM name which appears in chat if that's what you mean.

The changes were made in Unity because of the cloud connection and the need to verify licenses. Also players can now create campaigns using the demo and so they need a forum account to do that.

To see which player owns a character open the character window and you'll see the name there.

And the link to the idea informer is in my signature.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    They can change the DM name which appears in chat if that's what you mean.
    Yes that's what I meant.

The point is basically to be able to use the well known private handle we're comfortable with as a group of friends and that was used in FGC rather than a long and/or anonymous account name that we used to create an account on FG forum.

That handle/alias would appear in the chat and characters or notes ownership.

Again thanks for the clarification,

Chat shows the character name and not the player name - and always has done. You only need the username once to register the client and then the players are known by their character name.

This also enforces the players to use the same player connection name when joining the campaign - which means previous data shared with them is still present. In FGC a player could change their player connection name each session (and I've seen it done a few times) and suddenly they can't access all of the data previously shared with them - as shared data is tagged with the player connection name.

Think of the player account as just a way of using the system in a reliable and consistent manner. It basically goes away once the player has connected to the game and selected a character.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    Hello,

I'm hosting my games in LAN mode and it seems my players MUST have an account on Fantasy Grounds to join it. Is it correct ? Or is there some way to setup the client (Free Client because I have Ultimate) so that the player just use an arbitrary name for his login, just like we do with FGC ?

Best Regards,
    Tell them to create accounts with their preferred username on the FG forums.

As others have said (Zacchaeus, Trenloe), there are good reasons for this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Tell them to create accounts with their preferred username on the FG forums.
    As others have said (Zacchaeus, Trenloe), there are good reasons for this system.
    I now understand the reason, that makes sense and it is more acceptable. As a workaround we'll try to rename or rather delete/re-create our FG accounts because some of them were existing prior to this FGU constraint and it seems that renaming your account is not an option on the forum.

Thank You all for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    I now understand the reason, that makes sense and it is more acceptable. As a workaround we'll try to rename or rather delete/re-create our FG accounts because some of them were existing prior to this FGU constraint and it seems that renaming your account is not an option on the forum.

Thank You all for the feedback.
    You can write an email to support, they can change usernames

Thread Information