DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Question regarding Dice

My understanding is that the existing dice can't be modded because they are hard coded into the game, right?

But would it be possible to add NEW dice to the game - not reskin the existing ones, but entirely new models not connected to the ones currently used?

This would be especially useful for games that use special dice like Genesys or Star Wars FFG, but could also mean that if new die were added, then those could be modded and customized by the community for those looking to do so. Or for creating unusual dice like a d7 or d30 for whatever reason

So, the OP seems to be referring to completely new die types, which I understand is still impossible. What about adding dice based on standard die models with custom faces and results? i.e. Can the dice behavior in Valarian's One Ring ruleset for FGC be recreated in FGU? (Expansion of summary: Create a custom die that can be added to CoreRPG character sheet stats or desktop hotkeys, with that custom die displaying unique art assets in chat for the die sides and providing different numbered results [similar to how the d0, d2, and d3 appear to work, at least looking in gameelements.xml].) Every reference I've found to anybody making this happen goes back to the FGC days, but if I'm just overlooking an obvious thread somewhere for FGU, I apologize and please feel free to give me a swift kick in that direction.

Blog Entries
    Technically it can be done. There is a limited number of dice slots available in the engine. It is only available to the developers.

We can display whatever symbols we like in chat - but to change the dice faces of the 3d models is not something that has been enabled.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I don't really worry about the 3D models. They look nice and all, but in my mind their job is, at most, interface, not result.

To clarify, when you say "WE can display whatever symbols we like in chat," based on your general tone I assume "we" still means actual devs, not customer-side coders and ham-fisted kit-bashers like myself. If so it seems something of a glaring oversight for FGU, I'm sorry to say, especially given that people were obviously doing it in FGC. One of the things that led me away from your competitors was that I could buy a perpetual license and didn't have to maintain a monthly fee to unlock the community mod features that were available. Obviously I should have done more careful research first, but it never occurred to me that such a fundamentally desirable thing as dice modding would have been left behind with the "upgrade." TL;DR: I'm not mad. Just disappointed.

Thank you again for your diligence all throughout these forums.

Physical 3D dice on the desktop can't be modded. That is internal.

The die results in the chat can be modded and new rolling mechanics can be added. If you unpack CoreRPG, it gives an example of adding d66 dice rolls. One die being the tens and the other being the ones. Fallout and Star Trek use a custom d6 called the conflict die. This is added into the ruleset with the same process as the d66. World of Darkness as well shares this by changing the chat symbols that appear to be those of the custom dice the publisher makes available to speed game play. So yes, you can make new die roll mechanics, but can't change how the physical dice on the desktop operate or their design.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Blog Entries
    By the royal "we" I meant everyday users like you and I. I am just another community member like everyone else.
    Ill post a sample extension in the next couple of days that you can use to learn how to mod it for your own table.

Oh, sweet. Based on your ubiquity in the forums and your level of expertise, I thought sure you must be on the payroll.

I appreciate your offer to provide a sample I could use to get me started. If you're aware of anything that is already posted that I could use, feel free to point me there. (I had looked before posting, but I learned long ago not to assume something doesn't exist just because I couldn't find it.)

Many thanks.

Awesome! Sorry it took me so long to reply. Didn't mean to be an ingrate, but RL reared its head, and I've only now had a chance to dig into your example file. That said, it was exactly what I needed, and I now have a TORDice extension working exactly as I want for my game - in time for our next session on Friday, no less. Many, many thanks to you (and to Valarian, as I shamelessly stole the artwork from his legacy version)!

Thread Information