5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Advice for new GMs?

Hello all,

I’m not sure if a thread like this already exists, but in my brief browse of the forums I was unable to find the information I was looking for.

I purchased FGU today, and am feeling a little overwhelmed. I really want to DM a 5e campaign for my friends, but I’m not quite sure where to get started. In truth, I’m not the most technologically savvy individual and learning all of the program’s mechanisms is a little daunting.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get started, or a video series you could point me to?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to FG! It can be overwhelming at first, but once you get used to it, you will fall in love with the features for 5E.

You want to start here:

https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

This will get you going.

Hi DeLarge, yes FG has a bit of a learning curve, but you have chosen a product that has one of the most responsive communities I have seen.

In order to learn how to use D&D5e in FG, I can recommend a group called Fantasy Grounds College. They have a website with resources and event schedules (online classes), a youtube channel with many videos, and a discord server where they provide help and also stream the classes.

Fantasy Grounds College A-Z videos - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rxDdDsIuxOlDIB

Website - https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much! That looks like a promising start.

Basic advice:
    1. extensions are tempting, but don't do extensions until you REALLY know what FGU can and can't do. I've seen extensions for sale that offer to do what FGU does all right on its own.

2. start with a premade adventure. Lost Mine of Phandelver is a good start. When I used to roleplay and DM back in the 80s and 90s, I NEVER used premade adventures. When I came back to D&D last year, using a premade adventure really helped me get started again.

3. Just let your group know that you're new to FGU, and to be patient with you. Trust me, I started on FGU about a year ago, and you can pick it up fast.

4. Yes, 100%: take some free classes at Fantasy Grounds College. Check out their discord as well. Even experienced DMs and players can learn from their classes.

5. Play with it. I made a "test campaign" that is separate from my player campaign, and in my free time, I play with and try things out to see what it does.

Blog Entries
    Yeah start small, start with no extensions and start with LMoP.

Learn how to create a character and roll from a character.
    Learn how to Add Creatures/PCs to the Combat Tracker and from there to the Map.
    >> Learn how to Target
    >> Lean how to roll attacks and damage
    >> Learn how to delete the dead from the CT
    Learn how to use Stories and the Reference Manual

Dont learn anything else.
    Dont learn effects just use the Modifier Stack to apply modifiers.

Play like that for a session or 6 and then add some more features to your game.

Besides everyone's else tips, watching some real sessions that are recorded on Youtube or where you prefer it's really helpful to see how people actually uses in actual play some of the features (even so you can get a real hold of it).

Welcome!
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

Blog Entries
    After you get going, and are looking for some different thoughts on DM/GMing and how you might improve your game or just do things differently, check out this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...6014-GM-Advice

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    A good idea to learn how to use the software as a player because *your* players will be looking to you for guidance later on.

The rest of the advice here is good as well.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I found that running two FGU instances, GM and Player, and running a small party through part of the adventure that I had planned helped to gain an understanding of how the software works from both perspectives. It made it easier both to learn how to do things as GM and how to assist my players as they were learning the software.

Thread Information