DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Fog of War and Token visibility issue when adding new lights

I've discovered an issue that when adding a light to an actor via effect (I haven't tested other means yet), the actor doesn't always appear, though his light does. And when two light sources combine, it seems to reveal the fog of war to an observer of far too large an area (possibly the whole map, or at least what's not blocked by LOS). I originally saw this in the 2E ruleset, but reproduced and made these images using Core RPG.

Edit: You can probably skip to post #2 in this thread, as the steps to reproduce were simpler than I thought.

I created an imgur gallery here to go along with these steps. It has images from both the GM and player view. The player is controlling the bottommost guy (who I'll call Observer)..

Step 1. I have a simple scene. Three guys are in a rectangular room with no lights. Two are next to each other and one guy is about 25 feet away observing. LOS and lights are enabled. Observer can't see anyone. So far so good, since everything is pitch black!

Step 2: Drag a Candle from the effects presets window to the leftmost actor. Observer sees the light appear, but not the guy holding it. Another possible issue, though I'm unsure, is the person to the right isn't illuminated either, though since they're on the edge of the effect, I'm not sure what expected behavior there is.

Step 3: Drag another Candle from the effects presets window to the rightmost actor. Observer now sees both actors, but also just had fog of war revealed for the entire room, which is a far greater area than the candles illuminate.

Step 4: GM resets fog of war for observer. It looks like it reset on his side, but fog of war does not look like it reset on Observer's side.

Step 5: GM deletes both light effects from the actor. Observer appropriately doesn't see the other actors anymore since the room is dark. GM then resets fog of war again for Observer. Fog of war now resets appropriately on Observer's end.

I've got the campaign attached (it's just a brand new CoreRPG campaign with a white background for a map) although this is super easy to reproduce on your own too. I am using the latest update of the Test branch.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sterno; April 28th, 2021 at 13:21.

I've played around with this more using a more detailed map to better see the Fog of War, and discovered that Step 3 above (adding a light to the 2nd actor) probably didn't really matter at all... it was likely just causing a refresh of the Observer. I've got a simplified case here that shows in even better detail.

Step 1 - GM sets up the map. Dark room with 3 actors, no light sources, as in the first post. Observer sees nothing, so far so good!

Step 2 - GM drags a candle from the effects window to the top-left actor. Observer touches nothing.

Step 3 - Observer clicks on his own token. Suddenly he can see the previously-invisible actor with the light, but also FOW is revealed for his entire line of sight.

Interestingly, if I add more actors (even ones added to the map after the light is in place), they all basically have fog of war revealed along the candle-holder's line of sight.. Everyone EXCEPT the guy holding the candle has their FOW revealed, in fact. Here's what happens if I delete Observer from the map, and then bring him back in from outside the room.

And here's what the candle holder is seeing (DM View, I was too lazy to open another client to log in as him). Note that he's the only one with correct fog of war.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sterno; April 28th, 2021 at 13:22.

Thread Information