FG Spreadshirt Swag

Applied Effect Duration Count Down Timing

Question: Are the only times that an applied effect duration counts down at the start and end of the round?

For example: I have an effect that adds enfeebled: 2 to a target until the end of the target's next turn. When I set the effect up in the Actions Tab, I can set the effect to apply to TARGET, ALL rolls, and either START or END of turn. I can change the "Initiative to adjust on" in the Combat Tracker as the GM which I believe will have it count down at the appropriate initiative count but my player's can't make that change. My player's are very fond of applying effects so anything that makes the application of effects faster is greatly appreciated.

Is there an obvious way of having effects count down at the appropriate time though automation?

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere - I couldn't find it in the forums if it was)

The ruleset code uses the initiative of the effect source (the PC initiative in the case of a PC applying the effect). And you're correct that players can't change effects once applied to targets.

I can see the need for something like setting the target initiative for effect duration reduction. I'll consider this for a future release of the ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Would be wonderful to later have an option for players to manipulate/remove effects themself.
    Could it even be possible to make it three settings: "Player can't manipulate applied effects", "Player can manipulate effects applied by themself" and "Player can manipulate all applied effects".

My best example would be the Alchemical Crossbow I now automated with advice from this forum. I created spell effects for every damage type that could be loaded. My player can apply these, but not remove them. This way I would no longer have to check on my Alchemist player and remove the effect after he shot 3 times with the alchemical crossbow.

And in regards to ruleset code using the initiative of the effect source, would it then work similar to the "PERS:" effect, as that is applied at the end of the targets turn?

In CoreRPG base system, players should be able to remove any effects that they have applied. Players are not allowed to remove effects applied by others. I would expect that this behavior exists in PFRPG2 already.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Intemperiae View Post
    Would be wonderful to later have an option for players to manipulate/remove effects themself.
    As MW says, a player can remove effects they can apply. But they can't manipulate them once applied. The player sees the delete button if they click the effect show icon (outline of a humanoid figure).

Quote Originally Posted by Intemperiae View Post
    And in regards to ruleset code using the initiative of the effect source, would it then work similar to the "PERS:" effect, as that is applied at the end of the targets turn?
    FG already uses the initiative of the effect source to reduce duration. And the PF2 ruleset has an option to reduce effect duration on the start or end of turn:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 22nd, 2021 at 06:10.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for the response. That is something I have to test as soon as I get home.

I was told by my player that he is unable to remove effects, even those he applied. Due to this I thought that it could be a limitation of the system itself. Now it has been a player made problem all along.

And as for me mistakenly writing “effect source“: I wanted to question in regards to the effect tracking on the target, like thepope mentioned, but somehow scrambled the words around in my head as I wrote my comment. I really should not comment before I had my morning coffee.

Moon Wizard and Trenloe, thank you both again for the help.
    Last edited by Benlyd; April 22nd, 2021 at 06:22.

Thread Information