DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Locking map to background appears to affect fx settings

FG Unity, 5e, Extensions: FG pack + some of Rob Twohy's

I came across this odd thing while reviewing maps for this afternoon's game.

I have a self-drawn map for encounters that features a stream crossing the whole map. I've applied Water fx to this to create gentle movement. Locking the map to background (if that's the right term - clicking the little arrow, top right corner) turns the stream into a roiling mass of turbulence, as if every parameter has been set to maximum. I can't open the Image Control panel while the map is locked to background to check if the settings have actually changed. Unlocking the map from background returns the fx to normal. Locking the map with Image Control open has no effect, the fx stay the same. Edited to add that so far it only appears to affect Water fx, Myst appears unaffected.

I haven't tried reproducing this yet, that will have to wait until this evening after the game. Just thought I'd put this up here first to see if it's a known bug.
    Last edited by Geometer; April 18th, 2021 at 11:12.
    Alea iacta est

There is a known bug in the Live version where the background window actually extends very far off screen, instead of being constrained to the screen. This may be the source of the issue you are seeing. Resizing the overall "application" window resets the internal background window size (must be done after each time an image sent to background). This is fixed in the beta version we're in testing with.

If that doesn't solve, can you please post any steps to recreate and/or your campaign data?

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If that doesn't solve, can you please post any steps to recreate and/or your campaign data?

Thanks,
    JPG
    A brief update; I tried what you suggested but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll play around with it and see if I can reproduce it in a fresh campaign. Cheers.
    Alea iacta est

Just been having another play with it. The logs look interesting. The warning comes up whenever I pin the map to background.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Geometer; April 18th, 2021 at 21:01.
    Alea iacta est

That warning is just a warning from the networking system; but shouldn't affect the graphics at all.

Can you provide the steps to recreate and/or campaign?

Regards,
    JPG

Update.

I am unable to reproduce the effect in a completely new module-free campaign.
    I can reproduce it within the original campaign (Curse of Strahd)
    I can reproduce it within a fresh iteration of CoS, with all extensions, decals and features disabled except for adventure module and the basic essentials (see 1. below).
    I can reproduce it within a fresh iteration of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, add-ons disabled as above.

To reproduce (all assets from FG Art Pack 2019):

1. Open new campaign for CoS or HotDQ. Theme: D&D Official. Modules: Appropriate Adventure module; Adventure module - Players; DMG; DMG - Players; Monster Manual; PHB; Xanathar's Guide; Xanathar's Guide - Players.
    2. Create New Image
    3. Add background tile from Assets, resize to 18x18
    4. Add grid, set to W/H = 140x140, Distance 5'
    5. Duplicate background tile x3, arrange to form a square
    6. Add any River brush to Paint, set dims to 5x5
    7. Draw a river across the map.
    8. Add Water fx layer to river. Specs: Horizontal 70, Intensity 0, Speed 10, Droplet 13. Note effect.
    9. Close Image Control. Pin map to background. Note effect.

Notes:
    1. The above process approximately replicates the original map. Not sure now why I chose those those particular grid dimensions.
    2. The effect seems to be influenced by grid settings. I tried it with a grid set to smaller dimensions. The effect was still there but much less exaggerated.
    3. I've attached the campaign files from the fresh CoS campaign. I'm happy to provide the files from the original campaign if requested but it's a big file, I've added a lot of material in the form of maps, and past experience suggests it won't travel as an attachment or email.

Hope this helps.
    Alea iacta est

I recreated using the steps you provided; and it looks fine in background mode. I tried in both the Live version and the Beta version. Both looked the same. (see attached clip.)

Regards,
    JPG

I recreated using the steps you provided; and it looks fine in background mode. I tried in both the Live version and the Beta version. Both looked the same. (see attached clip.)

Regards,
    JPG
    Did you use the same grid dimensions as mine? I'm increasingly of the mind that it's something to do with these.

Did you close Image Control before pinning the map to background? From the animation it doesn't look like you did but that could be misleading.

How do you do those animated screen shots? I'd like to show you the difference I'm seeing, stills and verbal descriptions really don't do the job.

Anyway, whatever the cause, it doesn't seem to impact on performance or gameplay and I don't want to spend a lot more time on it; so, unless there's more that you'd like me to do, now I've brought it to your attention I'm happy to put it down as one of Fantasy Grounds' many idiosyncrasies and move on, just paying more attention to grid settings in the future.

Thanks for your time.
    Alea iacta est

Yes, I used the same dimensions as yours (as far as I can tell). Also, the map was pinned to the background with the image panel unlocked. If you include a copy of your test campaign, that would probably be better than just giving steps.

I currently use a tool called Screencast-o-matic to make screen videos; though I've used several different ones over the years.

Regards,
    JPG

Yes, I used the same dimensions as yours (as far as I can tell). Also, the map was pinned to the background with the image panel unlocked. If you include a copy of your test campaign, that would probably be better than just giving steps.
    I attached a copy of the test campaign to my earlier post as a .zip file, here it is again:
    Alea iacta est

Thread Information