5E Character Create Playlist

How are you handling visibility and lighting in multi-level maps?

I have some encounter maps that I am making that have multiple levels where the different levels are visible from each other (i.e. a ship map with a quarter deck). How would you handle visibility onto different levels for a situation like this?

Blog Entries
    The most common response to this is put the images on one map. This (putting multiple levels/elevations on a single map) works well for things like ships, wizard towers etc that don't get too carried away with space. Something like a multi level dungeon this generally does not work well for.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

How does this handle fog of war? Is fog of war calculated per image or is it just a single bitmap for the entire map?
    It also seems like this wouldn't work well for a ship, where some characters could be inside the quarterdeck, but others are on the deck above it.

I think what LE is saying is that you would put all your ship decks on one map (not layered) and add LoS to each part. Since each part will have walls around it then a token on one deck won't see into the other deck(s). The Fog of war is worked out per token and as long as the DM holds SHIFT whilst moving a token from one deck to the other the FoW will be preserved.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

On the ship example you would put the things that should be able to see each other together, ie a top down view. So the main deck, quarter deck, fore deck. Then put the forecastle, main hold, captain's quarters on the same map off to one side - but separated from each other and the top down view.

Use a single map like this

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comment...adventures_oc/

and add LOS - then you can move the players between decks (hold down SHIFT when you move them so they don't have the map revealed as you move them around).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post

and add LOS - then you can move the players between decks (hold down SHIFT when you move them so they don't have the map revealed as you move them around).
    Yep, this is what I mean. Was going to give an example when I came back cuz I wasn't very clear. The one I came up with is this one; https://imgur.com/gallery/mNOK4eI

But Jimini's is a cooler map!

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post

This is what I am already planning on doing. My question was more related to allowing players to see enemies on other levels, with the Line of Sight and Lighting systems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flashgordon View Post
    This is what I am already planning on doing. My question was more related to allowing players to see enemies on other levels, with the Line of Sight and Lighting systems.
    Yep, it's a tough thing. So if you use LoS, then they won't be able to see enemies on other levels UNLESS you use Party Vision. You can do this as a option, then all PCs can see the LoS from all other friendly CT tokens. And if needed you can add a token from the CT to give vision into the other levels. You can also add individual tokens to Party Vision via right click, and do the same as above.

Or, if not using LoS, you can just use masking.

No perfect solutions, but some ideas.

Thread Information