Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

I agree, NPCs for sure should be removed from the map when deleted from the combat tracker. When I have 20 monsters on the tracker as soon as they are dead I want them out of there and off the map. However, as JPG mentioned, there are extensions to change this behavior, by adding tombstones or blood splats.

Since live PCs stay forever on the tracker it's really going to be a corner case when taking them off, given its been the way it has for years from a UI point of view, it's probably better not to change it unless you couple it with some sort of major combat tracker upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Since live PCs stay forever on the tracker it's really going to be a corner case when taking them off, given its been the way it has for years from a UI point of view, it's probably better not to change it unless you couple it with some sort of major combat tracker upgrade.
    I don't see a real benefit of leaving the pc token on the map when the player character is removed from the CT. I find the behavior unexpected since NPCs do not.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I think the point is perhaps that PCs are never deleted from the CT - so it's a bit of a rare edge case if they are.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think the point is perhaps that PCs are never deleted from the CT - so it's a bit of a rare edge case if they are.
    Understood. I'm trying to lobby for that to change I'm not sure a good reason to keep it like that is because its been that way for a long time but /shrug.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I don't see a real benefit of leaving the pc token on the map when the player character is removed from the CT. I find the behavior unexpected since NPCs do not.
    I think JPG mentioned the most common reason why you might want to pull some PCs from the tracker but leave them on the map: Split parties where part of the party gets in a fight while the rest of them don't. You are going to want to have the actually fighting PCs on the tracker and may not want the others there cluttering up the tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    I think JPG mentioned the most common reason why you might want to pull some PCs from the tracker but leave them on the map: Split parties where part of the party gets in a fight while the rest of them don't. You are going to want to have the actually fighting PCs on the tracker and may not want the others there cluttering up the tracker.
    If the token somehow managed to keep a link to the character if it was replaced in the CT I could see it sticking around but... it doesn't. Even in the above situation you'd have to manually delete the tokens left if/when you replace the PCs in the CT.
    ---

The current PC not being removed behavior was confusing enough that I confused it for a bug. That is because I regularly remove NPCs and knew those do vanish from the map when their CT equivalent is deleted. Since PCs are lower in number than NPCs and stay on maps longer we can manage. It seems like more work than just putting an asset token on the map for the few cases where we need a PC reminder token, though.

@celestian I agree with you from a User Interface design point of view. This one of those theory vs. practice dilemmas, though. That difference has been around almost a decade. User's are use to it working the way it is. Changing it now is more likely to cause more confusion (and support tickets) than not changing it - and users don't like change without a benefit to themselves.

If and when the combat tracker gets a major rewrite would be the time to update it for existing rulesets, IMO. For new rulesets, I think it would be OK to have the NPCs and PCs deletion work the same way.

Question is if Fantasy Ground sees itself as being written for old clients who cannot adapt to consistency changes or to new clients who expect a more consistent user-interface and user-experience. Single-click vs. double-click buttons are another point of regular confusion for my players. We are new customers, we never got used to the same thing working in two different ways and keep being astounded when "we always did it this way" is put down as an argument for not improving things.

Anyway, the question was answered. No bug, nothing to worry about. Thanks for that.

I vote for it to change. Delete from combat tracker should remove from the map.

Thread Information