DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Light washout with ambient light and preset torch

I'm seeing some washout on maps with ambient lighting defined when a token has a light source (e.g. torch) effect. Is this expected?

Here are a few examples:
    Cragmaw Castle (Player) from Lost Mine of Phandelver. Ambient Light vs Ambient Light with Torch preset
    PC on CT with preset Torch effect. Ambient light is default included with module.

Here's a view of Cragmaw Castle when the PC token has a torch and is between two rooms - one with ambient light and another with no ambient light: Ambient and Torch.

Alley-Players from Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Ambient Light vs Ambient Light with Torch preset
    PC on CT with preset Torch effect. Ambient light is preset Sunlight. In this case it's really hard to even see the PC token on the map.

It seems like this behavior would be problematic on maps where players might move between areas with ambient light and without (e.g. Cragmaw Castle). The workaround is to disable the torch light effect when the token is in an area with ambient light. This washout effect also appears if a map light in one room shines onto an area with ambient light.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably not. I know that Carl wanted it to overbright a little when lights combined; but that looks like too much.

Was that a standard torch effect?

JPG

Yep, the torch effect from Effects > Presets > Torch (5e ruleset).
    On the Cragmaw Castle map the ambient light is set to whatever was included with the module.
    On the Waterdeep Alley map the ambient light is set to the Sunlight preset.
    Last edited by Ecks; April 15th, 2021 at 03:19.

Thread Information