Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Please figure out how to save what my players have explored

It's incredibly frustrating that all exploration is lost whenever moving a token to a new map. Roll20 is able to handle this just fine, if the db.xml is getting so bloated that FG can't support saving what characters have explored, maybe storing the entire state of the game and every map in it in a single xml file just... isn't the best design choice? But it's clearly something that CAN be done, and at this point it feels like it should just be table stakes for a VTT to not lose the state of a map just because you temporarily move to another map.

Blog Entries
    Vote for the idea on the Wish List; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135949

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Voted and commented - but at the same time I do strongly feel this shouldn't be on the wish list, it's so basic/expected that it really should be considered broken in it's current state. Speaking as a software developer myself, Data Loss is Bad(tm). A user shouldn't be able to do something that will just wipe out a significant amount of game data unintentionally like this, at the very least if the team is so determined to not prioritize it have some pop up that says 'doing this will cause you to lose exploration data on other_map' when they try to drag the characters tokens to a new map.

I don't know why all self-proclaimed professionals go on and on with snarky comments and try to push their ideals on a foreign company. That is neither professional nor mature behavior. We all can be glad that we have this forum as a way of communication with SW.

Back to topic...
    This "issue" was already discussed just a few weeks / months ago.

See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Area-History

or here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...g-between-maps

Maybe this helps you. This was a 5 sec google search, there is probably more.

Spontaneous workaround idea:
    1. Screenshot the map before they leave.
    2. When they reenter, enable party vision; move one of them along the whole path again.
    3. Disable party vision (if you play with disabled party vision)

This should take about a minute max. per map change (bigger maps a bit longer of course).
    Last edited by Zarestia; April 15th, 2021 at 01:51. Reason: word

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    I don't know why all self-proclaimed professionals go on and on with snarky comments and try to push their ideals on a foreign company. That is neither professional nor mature behavior. We all can be glad that we have this forum as a way of communication with SW.

Back to topic...
    This "issue" was already discussed just a few weeks / months ago.

See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Area-History

or here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...g-between-maps

Maybe this helps you. This was a 5 sec google search, there is probably more.

Spontaneous workaround idea:
    1. Screenshot the map before they leave.
    2. When they reenter, enable party vision; move one of them along the whole path again.
    3. Disable party vision (if you play with disabled party vision)

This should take about a minute max. per map change (bigger maps a bit longer of course).
    I apologize as coming off as snarky, that wasn't my intent, I was admittedly frustrated in the moment. Though, in my defense, my frustration was due to losing literally months worth of exploration data on a map because I'd forgotten this was an issue, moved my players onto a new side map, and came back to find all their previous overarching exploration on our giant main map lost. I legitimately don't think that it's 'my' personal ideal that it shouldn't be possible to lose that much data by accident so easily.

What I did to workaround this issue was, for a hex overland map (Kingmaker), create hex overlay image then place it in each hex. Then I removed the hex image overlay when the hex was fully explored. In my case I had a fully opaque layer and a semi transparent layer. I'd remove the full opacity from surrounding hexes so they could see the neighbor hexes.

Unfortunately this, too, is a pain, but it looks really cool and you don't lose the progress.

Yeah. It's definately able to be 'fixed' by just using a masking layer and manually revealing areas of the mask, too... but given that we have the really nice fog/los feature it would be nice to be able to use it (especially when you spent a LOT of time setting up the walls/doors/windows for it on your giant map expecting to be able to use it >>)

Blog Entries
    As a software developer I suspect that means you have the ability to go into your backups and recover the data out of the xml that you lost. I've never looked myself, but none of the FG data (except vault data) is particularly hard to decipher or figure out. I'm not a s/w developer and I've been able to go into the various campaign files to pull out various info without much challenge.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LillySprout View Post
    Yeah. It's definately able to be 'fixed' by just using a masking layer and manually revealing areas of the mask, too... but given that we have the really nice fog/los feature it would be nice to be able to use it (especially when you spent a LOT of time setting up the walls/doors/windows for it on your giant map expecting to be able to use it >>)
    I'm not disagreeing with you, and think that it shouldn't auto reset. There's a button to reset it manually after all. But this has been asked for before, and if I recall correctly I the response was "won't fix, as intended".

We digital natives type of people tend to forget that FGU tries to emulate the analog experience when it comes to maps and dice. Of course, that does not mean we have to like it, but it helps to understand the mind-set.

On a side-note: I agree that FoW should be (optionally) saved, at least if it stays discernible. Just as I agree that it should (optionally) be possible to disable it, even though our groups will keep it enabled (in keeping with the analog experience).

Thread Information