DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Couple of Rules Questions AD&D 1E and FG

1. The Combat Tracker number/bottom center indicates the encounter's round, then at the conclusion of round 1, the amount of time spent is 1 minute, if the encounter lasts 10 rounds, the amount of time spent is 10 minutes or 1 turn. 3 turns spent is a possible chance for a wandering monster. The red die on the combat tracker indicates the initiative in terms of which segment the character or NPC acts. Do I have this correct?

2. Movement - If the Combat tracker is tracking rounds and the party members and NPCs are acting on their initiative (i.e. the segment for the round), then I am to understand that the NPC or Party Member gets their movement rate for the round?
    Ultimate License Holder
    Timezone: UTC -6

DM: 1e Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds
    DM: 5e Descent into Avernus
    D&D 1e to 5e adventures converted: Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demon Web Pits
    Transitioning from D&D to DCC

May your dice rolls be ever in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron28 View Post
    1. The Combat Tracker number/bottom center indicates the encounter's round, then at the conclusion of round 1, the amount of time spent is 1 minute, if the encounter lasts 10 rounds, the amount of time spent is 10 minutes or 1 turn. 3 turns spent is a possible chance for a wandering monster. The red die on the combat tracker indicates the initiative in terms of which segment the character or NPC acts. Do I have this correct?

2. Movement - If the Combat tracker is tracking rounds and the party members and NPCs are acting on their initiative (i.e. the segment for the round), then I am to understand that the NPC or Party Member gets their movement rate for the round?
    1e uses a different initiative system than 2e. The AD&D ruleset simply changed the initiative dice to d6 if using the extension. I think in 1e the round is 10 seconds per segment? It's all cloudy and not really set in stone if I recall. They also have phases for casting/missiles/melee/movement.

2e uses a 1d10 but the initiative could be higher/lower depending on modifiers. It is not the "segment" you go in (there are no segments in 2e), it's simply the order your turn is. Combat initiative is abstracted, it's no longer segments/etc. In general tho 10 rounds is a turn (10 minutes) and 6 turns makes an hour.

The CT is probably not a good tool to use for managing time outside of combat since most people do not adjust time by rounds outside of combat in FG.

I mostly said all that to clarify the mechanics, as written, in FG but probably didn't answer anything
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

1) I'm not an expert in all of FG yet, but as far as 1E goes apart from FG, yes, I'd say you have that correct. 10 six-second segments in a round, but most actions happen in the first 6 of those six-second segments (i.e., you're rolling a d6). The last 4 segments are when delayed stuff like spells and magic item activations tend to happen if a poor initiative roll occurs.
    2) If someone is moving for a round and nothing else then initiative doesn't really have anything to do with it. Initiative is when you're trying to do something to someone else. If you're moving and nothing else then you're moving the entire round from start to whenever you stop your move, and then next round you can take another action. Keep in mind that in 1E the only way to fight someone with hand weapons is to start within 10' of them, or charge them. Starting within 10' would be an initiative roll and acting on the number shown. Charging them is covering ground at a faster rate (charge movement rate) with an attack at the end of it. Whoever has the longer weapon between the charger and chargee goes first. In this scenario, initiative has nothing to do with it. The attack exchange happens when the two parties meet physically, that moment being dictated by how far apart they are, and the movement rate of the charger.

As far as tracking turns for random monster check purposes, I don't know if this extension plays well with 2E/1E extension, but you could try it

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Clock-Adjuster
    Last edited by EOTB; April 17th, 2021 at 21:19.

Thread Information