5E Character Create Playlist

How Do I Import a Character I Saved as the DM in 5e on a Mac?

Hi,

I'm running Fantasy Grounds Unity, D&D 5e, on a MacBook Pro on macOS Catalina, Version 10.15.7. As the DM, I saved a character, Mori the Lucky, at Level 1, named the file MoriL1.xml, and put it in my Fantasy Grounds folder.

I need to import that file because of a player error upon leveling up, but it does not appear as an option when I open the "Characters" banner and select the up arrow to import a character. Where is it, and how can I access it?

If I send the file to the player, will he be able to access it when he logs into my server? If so, where should he put the file?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

As mentioned on Discord. Click the PC button and then on the blue import arrow and then on the blue import file arrow. Navigate to where you saved the file and select it to import it into your campaign.

If you send the file to the player they'll need to do the same kind of thing. Create a campaign then import the file into that campaign; then when they join your campaign click on the import button and they'll see their character in the list.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    As mentioned on Discord. Click the PC button and then on the blue import arrow and then on the blue import file arrow. Navigate to where you saved the file and select it to import it into your campaign.

If you send the file to the player they'll need to do the same kind of thing. Create a campaign then import the file into that campaign; then when they join your campaign click on the import button and they'll see their character in the list.
    Hi, Zacchaeus!

My problem is when I press the blue import arrow, the file is not among the choices of PCs to upload. In fact, none of the characters I have saved via /exportchar are there.

Did you export the characters on the machine you are trying to import from?
    If on a different machine, did you copy over the character export XML files?

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Did you export the characters on the machine you are trying to import from?
    If on a different machine, did you copy over the character export XML files?

Regards,
    JPG
    Yes, I am using the same computer.

Nice to meet you, JPG - I have learned a lot from reading your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by LaiJien View Post
    Hi, Zacchaeus!

My problem is when I press the blue import arrow, the file is not among the choices of PCs to upload. In fact, none of the characters I have saved via /exportchar are there.
    When you click on the import file button this takes you to a windows browser which you can use to track down where you saved the file. I'm not talking about the import character button but the import file button - see my graphic above.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yeah, as @Zacchaeus mentions, the Import Character screen is only for other campaigns on the same machine. Once on that screen, there is another Import File button that lets you import the a character file.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    When you click on the import file button this takes you to a windows browser which you can use to track down where you saved the file. I'm not talking about the import character button but the import file button - see my graphic above.
    <slaps forehead> Didn't look closely enough at your graphic the first time - thank you once again for saving me, O Mighty One.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Yeah, as @Zacchaeus mentions, the Import Character screen is only for other campaigns on the same machine. Once on that screen, there is another Import File button that lets you import the a character file.

Regards,
    JPG
    <slaps forehead> Didn't look closely enough at Zacchaeus' graphic the first time - thank you, JPG.

Thread Information