Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Heavy GPU load (Build 04-13)

Sadly this problem still persists with the newest update, so I open another fresh thread for this one.

GPU load is still rather large when playing without my temporarily workaround from previous build (which stills works but only when not closing the image.)

See campaign attached.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Open Assets
    2. Create new Image Record
    3. Select Campaign -> 50gpp.jpg (I hope this gets exported)
    4. Reset Zoom
    5. Resize Image Window so the map is completely viewable
    6. Enable LoS -> GPU jumps to 13% load
    7. Enable Lighting -> GPU jumps to 30% load
    8. Put image in background -> GPU jumps to 68% load

Workaround (for visibility):

1. Open Assets
    3. Select Campaign -> 50gpp.jpg (I hope this gets exported)
    4. Enable LoS
    5. Enable Lighting
    6. Reset Zoom
    7. Resize Image Window so the map is completely viewable -> GPU jumps to 13% load (only visibly problem are the staricases on LoS edges)
    8. Put image in background or reopen image -> GPU jumps to 30/68% load

Either 6. or 7. can be done before enable LoS/Lighting with the same result. If you do both, the workaround is not recoverable.

Other things seen with this problem:
    - Even my big 12000px * 12000px 20MB map has 68% load in background, in non background about 65%.
    - When you resize the image window to small you don't really see a change in the GPU load
    - Adding 40 torches doesn't seem to affect performance
    - The new non-grey background in the image panel is really nice (3.5e base theme, I atleast think it's new )

For all others: Just post campaign & reproducable errors, don't let this again go into needless discussions...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zarestia; April 14th, 2021 at 00:56. Reason: Workaround posted

Thanks for providing; I'm forwarding on to Carl.

Regards,
    JPG

For the devs:

Workaround 2 (a bit better compromise maybe):

1. Open Assets
    3. Select Campaign -> 50gpp.jpg
    4. Enable Lighting
    5. Reset Zoom
    6. Resize Image Window so the map is completely viewable
    7. Enable LoS -> GPU jumps to 20-25% load

You need to place some lights and LoS points, as the workaround only works when creating a new image.
    The staircases with some LoS rectangles are way better than in workaround 1. They're a bit blurry, which for me personally is totally fine and playable.

No workaround: 35-40% GPU load

Workaround 2: 20-25% GPU load (load imo still too heavy vs LIVE, <15% in background would be perfect hehe )
    Last edited by Zarestia; April 14th, 2021 at 15:09.

Just for awareness: Same 'issue' as last patch.
    As nothing like this was mentionend in the patch notes I just wanted to say I see no change.

Playing on a map right now in LIVE with many occluders causes a 10-12 % load^^
    Last edited by Zarestia; April 27th, 2021 at 20:37. Reason: wording

Blog Entries
    The number of pixels drawn has a significant impact on the GPU performance. How large is the image displayed?

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The number of pixels drawn has a significant impact on the GPU performance. How large is the image displayed?
    The images are sized roughly the same on my screen (2560*1440 monitor), image about half the screen, not in the background.

50gpp.jpg -> 1000px * 1000px, 338kb, in TEST, just open, reset zoom, resize, enable LoS & Lighting -> 45 % GPU load (without LoS & Lighting points/lights), see first and second post in this thread)

100gpp.jpg -> 2000px * 2000px, 948 kb in TEST, just open, reset Zoom, enable LoS & Lighting -> 64% GPU load (without LoS points nor Lighting Points) see first and second post in this thread)

Putting the map/image in the backgrounds still causes the GPU load to 68%.

------------

4650px * 4500px, 2,11 MB in LIVE with a few hundred LoS Points and 3 PCs playing a few hours -> 10-20% GPU load

See attached campaign (image files for testing different sizes are in the assets [i hope]).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BLs...ew?usp=sharing

Just tested with a friend of mine as a PC in that campaign. He has a NVIDIA 1060 6GB and sees about the same values, so shouldn't be a hardware case.

If you need any more information, just ask I can take screenshots, videos, etc.
    Last edited by Zarestia; April 27th, 2021 at 23:32. Reason: more info

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    The images are sized roughly the same on my screen (2560*1440 monitor), image about half the screen, not in the background.

50gpp.jpg -> 1000px * 1000px, 338kb, in TEST, just open, reset zoom, resize, enable LoS & Lighting -> 45 % GPU load (without LoS & Lighting points/lights), see first and second post in this thread)

100gpp.jpg -> 2000px * 2000px, 948 kb in TEST, just open, reset Zoom, enable LoS & Lighting -> 64% GPU load (without LoS points nor Lighting Points) see first and second post in this thread)

Putting the map/image in the backgrounds still causes the GPU load to 68%.

------------

4650px * 4500px, 2,11 MB in LIVE with a few hundred LoS Points and 3 PCs playing a few hours -> 10-20% GPU load

See attached campaign (image files for testing different sizes are in the assets [i hope]).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BLs...ew?usp=sharing
    The size of the source image is largely irrelevant for GPU performance. I'm asking about the number of pixels being display, i.e. how big is the image window. Thanks.

Screensizes (via snipping tool):

1054px * 785px: 20% GPU load
    1341px * 1060px: 30% GPU load
    2031px * 1224px: 55% GPU load

When I close and reopen the maps via 'Sidebar' -> 'Images' I see an increased load of about 8% for each map (~28%, ~30%, ~63%)

These are the sizes with the image border included, see image attached.

EDIT:

LIVE
    2394px * 1331px: 11% GPU load

see attached screenshot of this map with LoS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zarestia; April 27th, 2021 at 23:51.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the extra info.

@pindercarl & @joshwatmough

When I open for example the oasis map from the FGU Fundamental Pack, and resize it to nearly my whole monitor, I get a load of 10%. LoS & Lighting is already enabled in those maps. I see the same LoS staircases as mentioned in my first post. When closing & reopnening the image panel (so the image window get's newly created) the load jumps back to 40-50% and I get (maybe too) crispclean LoS edges.

Just wanted to let you know if that helps in any way.

Thread Information