5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

What does "Please remember not to update right before a game starts." mean?

This is posted to not do, but we always play on Tuesday nights which is typically an update day. I log in at about 6, typically there is an update, and we play at 6:30. I'm not sure what "Please remember not to update right before a game starts." means. Should I do the update, close FG, then exit and reload everything before others log in? Do they need to do something like this also?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miloh View Post
    This is posted to not do, but we always play on Tuesday nights which is typically an update day. I log in at about 6, typically there is an update, and we play at 6:30. I'm not sure what "Please remember not to update right before a game starts." means. Should I do the update, close FG, then exit and reload everything before others log in? Do they need to do something like this also?

Thanks
    It's a warning because if any bugs are in the update you can cause your game not to be playable (potentially). This includes extensions also.

I ignore it and insure we are all updated before we play. Not been burned yet but... I live on the edge.

Your call what you and your players do.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

This is to help the GM check out the changes and see if it will cause issues with their game. I would recommend doing the update after the game and check it out prior to your next weekly game. If you use extensions, the update can also cause havoc with them till the extension developer can update it (if the update affects it).
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miloh View Post

Thanks
    If you play on Tuesdays, then update on Wednesdays. That gives you almost a week to discover any issues while you are preparing for your next week's game.

If you visit the City Hall and read through the release notes each week, you will see what has been updated. Ususally if it's content only updates it will not impact you. But if it is application or ruleset based updates there is a chance it will impact you. If you use extensions, your risk grows exponentially with the number of extensions you use.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

You also need to make sure your players don't update either, since if there is a large change, and they update they won't be able to connect to you or will have errors.

Thanks for all the replies. If I'm understanding correctly, it doesn't matter (much) if I and players update 1 minute before game or 2 hrs before game, and we don't have to do anything weird like exit and reload after the update before logging in the game. It's just a matter of new update bugs that may have not been squished yet, which may/may not get addressed in the week to come.

Yes, I always update (about 3 times a week & on Tuesdays), which often forces players to update or they sometimes get the incompatible version error.

Blog Entries
    The release notes will give you a heads up if the version will be backwards compatible or not. If you care to check before updating.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It also can be an issue if you are using extensions that are broken that the creators haven't been watching the test channel.

It should be noted the last few replies do not apply to normal updates - but usually only to major ones which Smiteworks announces are in the TEST with some future date estimate for their release. Normal updates rarely.... very rarely... give issues. Especially if the extension dev is tracking these changes themselves.

As I said - I have no issue updating before game time - in fact I've never been burned in 3 years. But I keep abrest of any serious changes and tend to have control over everything I use - mostly.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I have had issues where major updates created significant in-game problems with installed extensions (mostly by throwing up error messages every few minutes), but I haven't had an issue where my group wasn't able to play at all. But I typically only have a few extensions installed at any given time, partly for this reason.

Thread Information