DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Few questions about the spike :)

Hey, all thanks for taking the time to read,
    In my campaign, I am running the organization the party is employed by is going to try to take control of a level in the spike and make it like their home, so my plan for this is to kind of do a little dungeon delve kind of session for this part of the story. My questions are apart from gangs and probably slimes and oozes is there anything else that you feel would make sense being down there? and also how big would a lvl in the spike be? In my head, I am imagining around the same size as a city as looking at the images it is definitely not as compared to say the ring or the eye it just has a lot of lvls.

Any other advice is more than welcome

Thanks,
    Ohbalgruuf

(And if you are thinking there is an ulterior motive to their mission you would be correct lol they are definitely planning to go after that)

So for the size of a level: Absalom as a whole is about 5 miles (8 km) in diameter. Like you said, the spike is only a portion of that. So I wouldn't say it's the size of a city. More like a district of one and considdering how Absalom has about 2 mil inhabitants, that checks out I'd say.
    For NPCs, I really like the idea of gangs and some oozes. I'd throw in a bunch of potentially helpful, potentially dangerous individuals of all sorts. I ran a section with my players in a really run down place that is run by badly/falty Augemented people and other poor souls that where experimented on in all sorts of ways. Think everyone is basically Frankensteins moster. This should give you a lot of possibilities for NPCs, antagonists and even just brainless enemies running down the streets.
    My Forge Page
    Discord: @evolivolution
    Ultimate License (FGU)
    Timezone: Z+1

Ooo perfect I don't know why I thought it was bigger but a district of a city sounds like it would check out for a lvl of the spike. Shall look into that and find something that I think will work best. A part of me is definitely feeling Necromunda kinda vibes for the spike.
    I absolutely love that idea, i have yet to fiddle around with augmentations for NPCs so they will definitely be like Frankenstein's monster haha, I will look in the alien archive book and see if anything else fits in terms of potentially helpful or dangerous individuals.

Thank you heaps for the help!

The beginner boxed set had goblins, a cyber dragon, and forgotten labs and stores. There would be traps in the form of malfunctioning equipment. Escaped live cargo from smugglers starships.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Oh sweet Thank you! I did not know that still a bit new to DM'ing starfinder. I will give the beginner box set a look!

Quick warning about the beginner box.. the rules are overly simplified and not the same.

Roger! i will probably just have a look at the info for the area

(delete)
    Last edited by Ohbalgruuf; June 12th, 2021 at 07:19. Reason: want to delete this post

Bringing this back as i have been working on this and i recently saw someone mention using shopping malls as a rough dungeon layout and thought that was pretty neat, so looking at that concept here do you all think a Stadium would be a good rough layout for a level of the spike?

Seems a little bland but it would work fine. Personally, I'd go to google maps and find about a square mile or 10 by 10-ish blocks of a major city. A lot of the art of the station seems to have a whole "Bigger on the inside" thing going on. I suspect that sizable portions of the station have entire buildings that are on their own demiplane (like an "Office of Holding"), but it's more likely that writers and artists aren't engineers and sometimes have trouble with big things at massive scale (Star Trek has this issue a lot).

While Paizo has been sticking with the official size being 5 miles wide, my personal headcannon is that the "5 mile diameter" applies to the central dome. Solves a lot of the "fridge logic," especially since without it there are ships as big as the station orbiting it (yay, SUPERCOLOSSALS!). Either way, the Starstone serving as a dimensional anchor is probably the only thing that prevents the sheer mass of the fleet orbiting the station from wrecking gravitational havoc.

For reference, "5 miles" is a homage to Babylon 5's stated length in the show as 5 miles long in the intro and the VFX crew outright stating "Oh, yeah, that's just the main habitat cylinder, the whole thing is closer to 8." The average Star Wars Star Destroyer is about a mile long and Vader's Executor Super Star Destroyer is 11 miles long.

So, um, don't worry to much about size or mapping out the whole section?

Thread Information